British Columbia: Finding friendly help

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by hubbs, Jul 25, 2014.

1. hubbs

hubbs New Member

For many years now I have been trying to do something about my garden in Kitsilano, and every time I begin to plan and research the project, I get overwhelmed and give up on the idea. This is the first time I thought to reach out to the community here for some serious help.

My backyard is about as north facing as it gets and doesn't see the sun rays expect for a few hours in the summer evenings. It doesn't help that it is recessed in about a meter from street level, with a 6 foot fence.

What I always envisioned is an evergreen dense foliage that can tolerate the low light. There is a lot of concrete terracing which are depressing to look at, and I always wished were covered with different ivies.

I feel I am incompetent and too uneducated to bring the vision to life. I am also worried about planning something that ends up being too invasive, or make another mistake that would things worse. I know hiring a professional is an option, but even with that I don't know where to begin looking, and what to look for.

What would be your suggest and advice on where to begin?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Start by reading about shade gardening. Should be resources at the library for this, if not, we have a few books in the Garden's reading room which you can look at on-site.

Also, visit VanDusen / UBC / QE Park for ideas by seeking out the shadiest areas and looking to see what is planted and what you like.

I hope you like ferns.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Please DON'T plant ivy. It will take over. As Daniel said ferns! There are lots of different ones plus many other shade loving plants. barb

4. hubbs

hubbs New Member

Thanks guys, I will start off this campaign with your suggestions.

5. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Try to choose some things that are evergreen (like several ferns are) and some that die back (a small Japanese maple with an interesting branch pattern, for instance). That way there's a progression over the seasons of how the garden looks. I agree that ivy isn't a very good choice, but I'd add Vinca (periwinkle) and Pteridium (bracken fern) to the no-go list as well, as both can be invasive.

Try:
    Polygonatum biflorum (Solomon's Seal)
    Doronicum orientale (leopard's bane)
    Dicentra (Dutchman's breeches)
    Vancouveria hexandra (inside-out flower)
    Epimedium spp (grand barrenwort)
    Bletilla spp and other garden orchids
    Pulmonaria (leadwort)
    Tricyrtis spp (toad lily)
    Galium odoratum (sweet woodruff)

All of these have flowers and grew happily in dry shade behind a cedar hedge, under a huge spruce tree, at my last house. For background, try large-leafed rhododendrons, yew, climbing hydrangea, etc.
    Hope this helps!
    keke

6. hubbs

hubbs New Member

Keke, thank you for the inspirations! And I have noted the warnings about the ivies and others on the no-go list, and will be staying away from them.

7. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

I say plant nothing but Hosta's! But mostly seek out your local Master Gardeners.

8. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Ferns are a good choice, and the advice to visit public gardens and check out their shadiest spots is great advice. I live in south-east Vancouver and have lots of years of shade gardening experience, I'd be happy to meet for a chat sometime to discuss what has worked and not worked for me. Because of our grey climate part shade in Vancouver is more like 'full shade' in most garden guides.
    I have a number of low ground cover plants good for shade which I could give you and possibly some perennials as well when I divide things in the fall.
    If you send me a private message,we can arrange to get together so I could look at your space and you could look at mine.

9. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

The problem with hostas is that over the winter they simply aren't there (they die down to the roots). Also, they seem to be slug magnets, which is great for keeping the little so-and-so's off other things but not so nice for the hosta. I'd consider them as part of the whole, but not all of it.
    keke

10. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a similar shade situation in a sunken garden (on a hill) and we must follow water restrictions in the summer

based on my experience in greater Vancouver - I would add salal (native plant) and vine maple (small native tree) to the list - I know of a very shaded local garden that contains these two plus hostas (and vinca but use with caution)

geranium? I like the blue Rozanne http://www.perennials.com/plants/geranium-rozanne.html

heuchera? I have best luck with the bronze beauty - some of the newer ones are a bit finicky I find http://heucheras.com/

for sure NO IVY - and some people are cautious about vinca too. Here is an easy-to-follow guide about BC invasives and some better options --- click on "grow me instead" brochure - http://bcinvasives.ca/resources/programs/plant-wise

maybe some rhododendrons?

Oregon grape?

clematis alpina --- grown up in to a tree is really pretty

it is amazing how quickly a garden grows in with some good mulch etc.

remember to include some focal points (is there a view of this back garden from inside your house? remember that when you're sitting out enjoying your garden that you will be likely looking back at your house building so that should be interesting too) - is there a shady sitting area in this garden? --- how about a pretty water feature? the nicest small gardens have pretty little rooms in them - figuratively speaking.

www.sunset.com is a good inspiration site for western north America gardeners. I like Taunton Fine Gardening too - tho it is from the east states but does have coverage across the nation and lots of design ideas / guidelines.

here is an article about shade gardening in Vancouver area
    http://www.bcliving.ca/garden/top-plant-picks-for-your-shade-garden

one thing that is helpful when imagining your garden is to use the garden hose to delineate borders / boundaries

take a chair outside and place it and sit in it in various areas of your garden to figure out your focal points and fav spots

11. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    ps - I meant to add this link to inspire you re: your concrete retaining walls

I like the willow idea (I like natural cottagey style) - it's on the left, about 5 photos down - do you see it?

http://www.pinterest.com/saradharding/retaining-wall/

here are other willow ideas (the retaining wall photo is #10)
    http://thewillowfarm.com/willow-fences-and-shade-panels/willow-fences/

=======
    I want to add another plant to the list - Alchemilla mollis - lady's mantle - very pretty leaf esp when dotted with water droplets

=======
    here are some shade garden ideas (photos)
    http://www.bhg.com/gardening/landsc...gn-ideas/?socsrc=bhgpin042012shadegardenideas

12. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hi I just came accross this, you are welcome to come and have a look at our specific"shade garden" under a tree in North Burnaby. Every year I hang baskets of Fushia and ferns in pots and at the bottom I always keep Hostas in pots in between the ferns to add colour there are MANY things that grow well in shade...