Palm Trees of BC

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Deneb1978, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Deneb1978

Deneb1978 Active Member 10 Years

Hey all,

I was wondering if there are any species of palm tree which can survive for many years outside either on Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands which can't survive in Vancouver (owing to a slightly colder climate).... I've been to Saltspring Island once and Victoria several times but haven't really noticed any different species of palms which I haven't seen here (Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis etc.)

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Paul123

Paul123 New Member

I am from Ontario but interested in that question. I have read online that Victoria is milder than Vancouver and more exotics can be grown there. It is tough to ask this question in Ontario because gardeners here are not familiar with palm trees and the topic of palm trees in BC is a taboo topic.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Curious, why is it taboo in Ontario??

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Most other types of hardy palms will require even simple protection. This can be as easy as a bungee cord to gather the fronds together, while some others, the use of burlap tucked into the growth point during the coldest weather.
    Heavy winter rain without adequate drainage is or can be, a breaking point and will lower the otherwise hardiness levels in many borderline palms. Overhead canopies can make a world of difference.

Cheers.

7. DonGab

DonGab New Member

Palm trees in BC would be taboo in Ontario because they are jealous that they can be grown successfully in parts of BC. We planted one 22 years ago when we moved to BC just to make our Saskatchewan relatives jealous. It is now taller than our house and we have a second one next to a water feature on our property. Neither one has ever had any special winter protection.

8. Nathaniel

Nathaniel New Member

Windmill Palm trees will easily survive in Vancouver. In 1996 some gentlemen planted 18 of them downtown Vancouver. all but 2 survived, well actually no one knows what happened to one of them... Someone stole it ..

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  9. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I've have a Chamaedorea microspadix - hardy bamboo palm - which has been "in ground" (not potted) in my garden since 2012/13.

I imported the parent plant through Montreal Plants (at that time they were know as Montreal Palms) but I lost it that same winter (it was a bad winter here). Then, in the spring of 2013, it sent up shoots that have been getting bigger each year.
    As the Victoria area is milder than Vancouver this little palm should be okay.......providing you can find one

IMG_3379.jpg

This is my little palm, which was about 3ft tall last summer

Delvi83 likes this.
  10. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

11. noelgosal

noelgosal New Member

Are these the ones located near English Bay?