help with my bird of paradise

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by gardengirl, May 3, 2008.

1. gardengirl

gardengirl Member

I am so confused. I have searched on the internet and now I have no idea what to do. I have a 10 year old BOP and the leaves are turning kinda yellowy, it's in a solarium where it gets direct sun for 4 hours in the morning then filtered for another 2 hours. I am unsure of how to water and fertilize? I have tried watering every 5 days or so and drenching and it looked pretty sickly so I let it dry out repotted it and watered it when the soil became powdery. With doing that the leaves are now have yellowy streaks in them. I am fertilizing every time I water with schultz's 7 drops every time u water liquid fertilizer, what am I doing wrong, please help me get this watering routine down please.

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

We had a bunch of them in a sunlit atrium and they rarely bloom. In nature they need direct sun and the glass or plexi tends to diffuse the light. Our's grew so well they tried to raise the roof which was 17 feet tall in less than 4 years so we had to cut most of them down. Most research I've done suggests very porous soil with sand mixed in and frequent fertilizer with lots of water. I grew about a dozen of these when we lived in Miami, FL in the natural sandy soil and they reached well over 20 feet tall in 9 years and were still growing when we sold the house. All were in direct sunlight almost all day. I've seen them at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in full bloom (several color variations) and they are enormous. I'd guess 25 feet plus. I'm no longer convinced this is a good house plant or even a good one for an atrium if you wish to see it bloom.

3. gardengirl

gardengirl Member

Can I ask how often you would water yours and how much? I am beginning to agree with you regarding whether this should be a houseplant the only reason I havent given up is my father grew this one from seed and gave all us kids a plant and mine is the only one left.

4. photopro

Please don't give up! Just understand the problems that come with keeping the species in a home even if you have an atrium.

My entire atrium is on an auto time now. I used to water by hand and my schedule was daily during the summer but 2 or 3 days a week in the winter. Now the plants are watered 4 times a week for 10 minutes at a time by an overhead misting system and they love it. The humidity level is now fairly consist at 90% due to the large pond in the center of the room plus all the water. BUT, the soil mixture was created in the beginning to be similar to a rain forest. We used thousands of pounds of amendments including peat, Perlite, cypress mulch, sand, humus and other ingredients to make it fast draining. So my soil is not like the soil in most pots but is somewhat closer to what would be found in the natural environment. During the winter I will back off to 2 or 3 days a week again.

We used to have them constantly in bloom in Florida but as I said in the previous post they were in full sun. Those at Fairchild are also in full sun. My atrium has a Lexan skin that probably blocks 30% of the light, thus few blooms. But the plants still grow like crazy since they are likely trying to reach that full sunlight.

5. gardengirl

gardengirl Member

Wow I"ll bet the plants love your place by the sounds of it :)
    So if my BOP is in a 14" pot and the soil dries out on top should I water or wait til the top 1" depth dries out? (I have a 1 litre watering can) I am sorry I am asking so many questions but I am soooo confused about water terms, I have heard liberally, moderately I am just not sure what this means in regards to how much and how often. Will the yellow streaks go away? I am not sure whether this is from overwatering or underwatering. Sounds like I need more organic matter in the soil too, its just regular old potting soil.

6. photopro

I make no claim to being an expert in any genus. I do a great deal of research reading scientific literature on the plants in my collection and based solely on my reading and personal experience this is what I would suggest:

First, pot the plant in soil that is very porous. Off the shelf soils tend not to work because they hold too much water. That is precisely why you are reading information to put a finger into the soil and check for moisture. They all hold a lot of water. I've tried several mixtures and the one I've been using for quite a while is 40 to 50% moisture control potting soil, 20% orchid bark containing charcoal, bark, and gravel, 20% Perlite, and the balance peat. This mix drains quickly and still holds enough moisture to keep the plants quite happy.

Now, you should be aware someone may come along and say my mix is bad since it contains wood and the wood will eventually rot and leave air pockets. I found it certainly does rot but it does so exactly as it does in the forest. And that material turns back into a natural fertilizer for the plants to use. So, that is a judgment call for you to make. For me, it has worked great for many years.

Second, give the plant a lot of light and water it frequently. Just make sure the pot will drain quickly. Other than that, watch it grow!

This is what my "over watered" atrium looks like:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/atriumentrancelarge.htm

The bird of paradise are in the back right corner out of view but if you follow the links you can see one bad photo of them!

7. gardengirl

gardengirl Member

WOW your solarium is absolutely magnificient, I dont think I would ever leave that room!!! Thanks so much for the advice I will take a stab and repotting and see how it responds :)

8. photopro

I would certainly suggest you consider all the advice that is available. As for not leaving the room, I only do it when I'm forced to get out!

9. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Steve (photopro) knows his stuff!

My white flowering BOP is in front of a south window. I've had it for over ten yrs or more, but it never flowers. To get one to flower indoors can be difficult, if not impossible, but that's ok, those big beautiful leaves are enough for me!
    It gets watered maybe once every two weeks, or whenever the soil has dried out completely first.

10. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Mine are outside as I am in a suitable climate. One is on a dry bank and never watered except normal rain. It is currently weathering drought (at least 6 years) It flowers as it is in full sun. So my take would be don't water it too much and plenty of warmth and light and don't over fertilise. Once a year with some bone meal or other organic would probably do it. I have seen them growing here in the hottest most inhospitable suburban concrete jungle and they thrive without care. They are Sth African in origon so overwatering is probably a no no if it is in doors.

http://www.aspleynursery.com.au/strelitzia.htm

Liz

11. gardengirl

gardengirl Member

Thanks I will take all the advise I can get, I am going to cut down on the watering repot in more organic matter that dries faster and maybe move it to the other side of the solarium. I have you say this is one of the best forums you are all so helpful and I am glad I can share my love of plants with all of you! :)