Fungicide Question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by leaird, Jul 9, 2007.

1. leaird

leaird Member

My squash plants have white powdery mildew, which has begun to spread to my zucchini and cucumbers. I went to Lowe's to purchase a treatment for the mildew. I was advised by two garden center employees to use Disease Control, which is manufactured by Bayer Advanced. The active ingredient is Tebuconazole (2.9%). We sprayed the plants last night and checked on them this morning. The white powdery mildew did not seem to be affected by the fungicide. So, I called Bayer's 1-800 question line. The woman informed me that this product is not to be applied to plants used for food. She could not give me any further information. The Poison Control Hotline and the National Pesticide Information Center could not offer any additional information either. If you have any information concerning this fungicide, please share. I am heartbroken at the thought of having to destroy my garden that I have worked so hard on.

Thanks,
    Elizabeth

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I found some toxicity info on the web--it is not highly toxic --generally acute toxicity is over 1000 mg/kg. There may be some carcinogen concern at high doses. I do not think you need to destroy your plants-- you might want to remove and throw away any squash that has come in contact with the spray, but it is not a systemic type fungicide that would travel through the plant to get into new squash that form after the spray was applied. It is somewhat persistient following the first application with a half life of more than a month.