New indoor citrus gardener - help!

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by skittlbrau, Oct 30, 2009.

1. skittlbrau

skittlbrau Member

Hello - my husband gifted me with a semi-dwarfed Bearss lime tree for my birthday a few months ago, and I had a few questions so I can keep it healthy and strong.

It will be an indoors only tree, as I live in NYC and have no outdoor space available to me that I could put it in. I live in a loft with large south facing windows, and get a fair amount of sunlight during the day.

I transplanted the tree from the shipping container, and repotted with Miracle Gro citrus and cactus soil with plant food in it. I lightly mist the leaves every day as recommended by the nursery, and spray once a week with a mixture of water and small amount of soap to keep bugs at bay.

What I am concerned about is the leaves - It's putting out new ones, but they seem to be curled in on themselves, and don't lay flat. Also, I have lots of leaves with small holes, and others with brown tips. I've posted images to show what they look like, and I would really appreciate any advice I can get!

Attached Files:

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I found out they don't like cold so just as well its indoors.

Also this:

3. skittlbrau

skittlbrau Member

Thanks for the advice - I really appreciate it. I've wanted a citrus tree for a long time, and I just wanted to make sure I haven't irreparably harmed it so far.

I keep on reading that the biggest killer of containerized citrus is overwatering - how much is too much for one of these trees? Do I let it get dry?

4. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I don't really know cus I never kept any citrus,

I am thinking water it in a dish under it, see how much moisture is left in say half hour, whats left throw away.

After that just have it damp, if its dry on top poke a finger half way down the soil...if its dry midway it would need water.

Water below in the dish agin as the roots are what needs the water...not the soil so much..

5. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

It looks like there is residue on the leaves. Perhaps you should stop spraying every week with soap? Just check regularly for bus and then treat if you have to - the soap solution won't prevent bugs. Spraying daily will do little to help, other than leave a residue of minerals from the water on the leaves. Perhaps increase humidity with a gravel tray?

It looks like there may be a salt buildup problem in the soil, indicated by discoloured leaf tips. It could be a few things but thats what the yellow makes me think. Are you feeding too heavily?

I have heard of the potting mix you are using, and I have read it is not free draining enough. I have read of others who used a mix of half of this potting mix with perlite/bark/chc etc. Too much organic material, not enough drainage, but thats just what I have read.

Do you allow the potting mix to dry out quite a bit before watering again?

Leaves sometimes look contorted due to shipping damage, physical contact etc, nothing to worry about if that is the case. Citrus also have a natural curve to their leaves, I had a lime that had the same curly leaves.