Unsubscribe from a thread

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by ponderoni, May 2, 2012.

1. ponderoni

ponderoni Active Member

I recently posted a response in a thread. Now I'm being emailed when anyone else responds to that same thread. Not to appear unfriendly, but...

Is one automatically subscribed to a thread if one posts in it?
    How do I unsubscribe from a thread without unsubscribing from the entire forum?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Question 1: Yes.
    Question 2: If your email notification is like mine, there is a link given at the bottom of the page to unsubscribe from that specific thread, and another to do so from ALL threads.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

If you do not go look at that thread, you're not supposed to be notified of subsequent notices. I know it used to work that way. Are you getting notices for the tread after ignoring a notice, or do you keep checking back to see what's been posted? As long as you check, you'll keep getting notified. When you indicate lack of interest by not checking, you'll stop getting notices.

Please do say if this is not what's happening.

4. ponderoni

ponderoni Active Member

togata 57,
    Thank you. If I had paid more attention to the original notification, I would have seen that.

Wendy,
    Thanks for the info.
    Just to let you know:
    a) I posted.
    b) Someone else posted.
    c) I got a notification.
    d) Being curious (and having ADD), I checked it out.
    I don’t recall getting any further notifications.

Out of curiosity: If you were not logged in, could you look at that thread without further notification?

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I would think so. I'm afraid you'll have to test that. If I'm wrong about that, you'll only be bothered one extra time :) .

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

When you're logged in, you can unsubscribe from a thread by opening it then selecting Thread Tools -> Unsubscribe from this Thread. It can also be changed or deleted from the profile manager: My Settings -> List Subscriptions; select the subscription then use the drop-down box to select the action.

The default subscription option is stored in the user profile and can be changed as desired: My Settings -> Edit Options -> Default Thread Subscription Mode. This default can be overridden when making a post via a selection box above the Submit Reply button.

7. ponderoni

ponderoni Active Member

Thanks, one and all.
    Have a great day.
    The torrential rains have abated here, so I might actually get outside today!
    Yee-ha!