Identification: Can someone help me identify these guys?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by music in a bottle, Sep 25, 2010.

1. music in a bottle

music in a bottle Member

New guy here. Always was a long time tree and plant hugger, and recently became interested in this small family of galactic invaders from outerspace. The first is about 10 inches in diameter and seems very happy here under our porch stairs.

There's a whole family of them in various stages of spreading out their tops. Hope someone can help!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

These mushrooms look like Shaggy Parasols, Chlorophyllum rhacodes; but, depending on where they are located, they could be the similar Chlorophyllum molybdites, which is poisonous. If you can get a spore print, C. rhacodes has white spores, while C. molybdites has green spores. C. rhacodes also stains orange to red where cut or bruised, especially at the base of the stem. The Shaggy Parasol is an excellent edible mushroom, but it should be positively identified before trying it.

3. music in a bottle

music in a bottle Member

Hey! Thanks for the heads up Vitog! I'll check a bit closer, armed with this new info. Of key concern was our dogs, five English Springers, getting into them and getting poisoned. I blocked them off, until I could have someone identify them. Thanks a bunch. Really appreciate it!