Blooming bush

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Lixon, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Lixon

Lixon New Member

Hi!

Was wondering for long that what type of bush growing just outside where the bird bath is. First it looked like it's one bush but when it was cut it came out as 2 seperate bush, and they do bloom in way different time. The left one's leafs are looks like a pine trees' one, but the right side one is blooming with lot of small pink and some white flowers and it starting later in Spring, and also loosing it's leafs much later than other trees, bushes. Later in moth the leafes are turning to green and will be similar looking like a pine tree's leafs. Hope someone can help ID this bush.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

Yes, Tamarix, but Lixon's first 2 shots are more likely to be T. parviflora. The true T. tetrandra is rare in cultivation. The confusion between these species was corrected 40 or more years ago in the studies by Baum but the name "T. tetrandra" still hangs around in horticultural circles.

The 3rd shot is presumably one of the summer-flowering species with terminal panicles of bloom on the new season's growths. In gardens elsewhere most such plants are either T. ramosissima or T. chinensis, but I wonder whether in Hungary it stands a chance of being the true T. pentandra (a name widely misapplied to T. ramosissima in horticulture).

The link provided by saltcedar (whose vast knowledge I respect) shows photos of one of these summer-flowering species, whereas T. parviflora (and T. tetrandra) flower in spring in short spikes along the previous year's wood.

4. saltcedar

See not all that vast! Broad maybe?

5. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

I am just reminded that one English name for Tamarix is saltcedar!

6. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Excuse me Tony, but to my eye the flowers on those two pictures look different, what do you say?

7. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

Sundrop, I suspect it's just different lighting. I wonder if Lixon may have used fill-in flash for the second closeup shot, giving light with a different color temperature and hence different white balance in the photo. Note the color in the lower right corner of the same shot. It's the short flower spikes from the old wood that are the significant feature.

8. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Thanks Tony. Still I am not completely convinced. The flower density on the two pictures looks different, and Lixon him/herself is saying that "the right side one is blooming with a lot of small pink and some white flowers ". What do you think? It would be good to hear Lixon's opinion, too.

9. saltcedar

To me they appear to be immature spikes (buds) VS mature flowering spikes.

10. Lixon

Lixon New Member

Thank you for the answers! Yes, i think i did use flash on the second pic, but it's also were made a bit after it started to bloom, while the thirst one is similar to that how it looks like now. It is light pink colored now, the third pic is made in late Summer time last year. On the first pic i was not planning to make a pic of the bush, just setted focus to a wrong place so it can change the look of colors. If it helps there's a second bush just next to it what looks very similar to this in summer (it is on the left on third pic) but it's not blooming in Spring, it's already picking up it's green color, when the other one just starting to show buds.
    I think so it looks like a T.tetrandra, but then it traveled a long way from it's original groving land.

11. Lixon

Lixon New Member