Help with grape vine

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Velkropie, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Velkropie

Velkropie Member

i live in southern colorado, i'm getting some grape vine from my next door neighbor...i want to know what is the best way to get it replanted into my yard if thats the right word and or best way to get my own vine started...i don't know what kind of grape it is...but i guess you can assume is the type that growths here...

any help will be greatly appreciated...

thanks

p.s.
    my neighbor doesn't know anything about it...he just inherited it with the house....

thanks again

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

This is definitely the wrong time to transplant a grape.

The strategy if you must would be the same as most other plants: large root ball, don't let the roots dry out (have your hole ready before you dig), water the hole, backfill with native material (the stuff you dug out), water after backfilling, fill any voids, prune back after transplanting, water but don't drown it twice a week for a couple of weeks then once a week till the fall rains, don't fertilize it (bonemeal is OK).

The main problem I have with all that is that for the same or lesser amount of labor you could start 10 or 20 green cuttings, pick the best of the 10 or more that root and grow them in Jiffy pots (formed peat) for the rest of the summer and plant a couple of the best out in September. In two years you won't know the difference unless the grape in question was a grafted plant, in which case ignore this paragraph and go with the first.

Or you could beg for more time and delay until winter dormancy and do a lot less damage to the vine.

Ralph

3. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ralph, let's find out if a whole plant is to be moved
    or just a few canes will be given. Dealing with canes
    will be easier as they can be placed (holed in, we call
    it) right in sand or a pile of forest humus and left there
    until the Spring providing the cane or canes are watered.
    Even still, if it were a whole plant I'd choose to do it now
    and let the roots adapt some. So what if we lose some
    top growth as we will anyway when the canes are pruned
    back before the vine should be lifted out and transplanted.
    In Southern Colorado there is still time left to transplant
    a Grape vine.

Jim

4. I recently bought a property on a small river in Maine and there are concord grapes growing everywhere. The problem is that there are no fruit. This property was once Shaker land and some of the vines are pretty old and thick. Any help out there on what to do?

5. Ralph Walton

A couple of thoughts:

The surrounding vegetation may also have grown up and may now be shading the grapes. If this is the case, you will have to choose grapes or trees; the grapes will not mature if they are shaded.

They will certainly be overgrown and in need of pruning. Wait till they are dormant and then have at it! They will only fruit on the current year's growth.

Check this site:
    http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/grape_pruning_basics.htm
    Pruning Grapes in Home Gardens
    Ralph

6. LILLY T.

LILLY T. Member

hello, Iam a new member, from nashville tn. i want to move a grape vine ,concord, now in oct, can you help with best way to do this?
    thanks LILLY

7. Ralph Walton

Lilly, prowl this forum (Grapes & Grape Vines). You will see lots of similar questions/advice, lots of it apparently in conflict, but all valid in different circumstances (season, vine age, budget, available time, emotional attachment, climate etc.). For instance, with a big track hoe or a tree spade and a good operator you can transplant more and with more chance of success than with a shovel and a station wagon, but there will be a much larger bill.

See if you can see yourself in any of these previous posts (including the earlier posts in this thread). Let us know how it all looks then.

Ralph