Meyer Lemon Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by jsturm, Sep 10, 2009.

1. jsturm

jsturm Member

I bought a meyer lemon tree this summer. It appeared to be doing well, and then I noticed webbing on the tree, small red spidery things. The leaves are now falling off without the stem at the bottom. I have sprayed the tree and no longer see the spidery things or webs. Any suggestions?

2. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Active Member

Are the leaves still falling off?

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Sounds like spidermites. You need to be vigilant. Some of them may have survived in hidden places. They can spread very easily to other plants, too.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Jsturm, what did you spray your Meyer lemon with? If you used water, you MUST spray the tree again in two days, and again at each two day interval for a total of a minimum of 3 times, 4 times would be much safer. If you used a soapy water spray, than you will still need to spray at least 3 times. Lastly, if you used a horticultural oil, like UltraFine, than one spray is normally sufficient. You will need to keep a constant watch for spider mites and scale as long as you have the tree. Now that your tree has lost it leaves, it will need to use all of its stored energy to maintain its metabolism and also to produce new leaves. It is of the up most importance that the tree does not lose its leaves again in the next 10 months, as it will probably not have enough reserve energy to again recover. The best of luck to this tree.- Millet (1,224-)