Is this torreya or cephalotaxus

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by kitsune, Feb 7, 2008.

1. kitsune

kitsune Member

My friend from Armenia sent me seeds. He thinks that this is Torreya taxifolia.
    He sent me photo of the plant also. But I suspect that this is not torreya, but a kind of cephalotaxus.
    Could someone identify the species of the plant?

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Definitely Cephalotaxus harringtonii. Wrong shoot structure for Torreya.

Very nice specimen, though!

3. kitsune

kitsune Member

4. Michael F

Cone ('fruit') shape is variable within the species, they can be either rounded or acute at the apex. It can even vary a bit within the cones on a single plant.

5. kitsune

kitsune Member

Thanks, Michael! This dispelled my last doubts.

6. Michael F

You're welcome!

Note though that although this is one of the hardiest (if not the hardiest) Cephalotaxus species, it still won't be hardy outdoors in Ekaterinburg!

7. kitsune

kitsune Member

I see that there is little chances to grow up them outdoors. But I am able to grow only a pair of them indoor. Others will be exposed to our severe winter. I have read that they can grow suckers from roots. If roots survived, they would grow as bushes. Usually snow cover is quite thick, more then 30 cm, I hope that it may protect young plants. Moreover, my garden is placed on the river bank and island, so it has a special microclimate. Usually the river do not become frozen du to thermal discharges from metallurgical works on upstream. So I will try my luck.
    By the way, do you know any discriminates to distinguish immature male and female cephalotaxus plants?

8. Michael F

Good luck! If the snow is reliably deep, that might be enough to protect it as a prostrate plant staying below the winter snow cover.

Sorry, no way of distinguishing male and female plants before cone production starts! Actually, Cephalotaxus is usually only subdioecious, not fully dioecious - plants being mainly one sex but also with some cones of the other sex, often on a single branch.