JM's in New Englad

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jalf, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Jalf

Jalf Active Member Maple Society

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and I would love some info as to where you would recommend obtaining JM's in New England. I now have 12 different varieties: Seiryu, Japanese Sunrise, Ukigumo, Shigure bato, Shirasawanum "Aureum", Fjelheim, Trompenburg, Tsuma beni, Butterfly, Bloodgood, Crimson Queen, Aconitifolium. I'm searching for a good sized "Sister Ghost", but am finding that variety a bit expensive. I'm putting together woodland gardens and want to emphasize the beautiful seadonal colors of JM's. Any other variety recommendations?

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

for buy new maples see in Links DB,top page;i suggest variety :Oridono Nishiki,Ginka,Arianne,First Ghost,Fire Glow,Jonnie's Pink,Villa Taranto....

3. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Jalf
    You are lucky to have Topiary Gardens not too far. They are a really good source, their trees are outstanding. They have a 100% rating on the Garden Watchdog site (Dave's Garden). What zone are you? (as far as recommending maples) I'm thinking about 6?
    Kay

4. Jalf

Kay, Yes, I'm in zone 6. Another member just informed me about Topiary Gardens who I had not heard of. I checked out theor web site and they look fabulous! Tell me about your JM collection. What's your favorite and why? I'm most excited about my Shirasawanum Aureum. Can't wait to watch it leaf out in spring. Thanks.

5. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Jalf,

I also recommend Topiary Gardens. I would suggest adding Osakazuki to your collection.

6. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Jalf

I came across a nursery in Southwick Ma near Springfield that had a nice selection and reasonable prices. The nursery was Anson Flower Farm and Nursery. I know they are a bit far from your location but I felt there selection was worth the trip. I have also had good luck with Topiary Gardens.

Ed

7. Jalf

Ed, thanks so much! I would drive to Southwick in a heart beat!! There is also a lovely winery there that I could visit! :) Tell me about your collection of maples. I have seen your posts and been curious. I actually grew up in NJ down by Burlington. Small world. Thanks again for the info.
    Gayle

8. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

Jalf,
    I live in Zone 5B on the coast of ME. for my smaller JM I use cold frames and a shed with no floor and bury the 1-2 gallon pots in the ground covered with 3 inches or so of bark mulch. Have not lost a plant to cold yet. (my weak grafting is another story) We will see how they fair this winter.
    I have my best luck with potted maples with quick draining soil of mostly spruce mulch, a little peat and some fish mulch.
    I have had good luck with Topiary Gardens as well, and Oriental Garden Supply had very reasonable prices for DELIVERED by truck JM's. I got a 2 gallon Grandma Ghost that some japanese beetles seemed to want to eat for $25.
    I try to by as local as possible, pay less or the same, have them driven less, etc. Save the oil.

9. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My favorites are the ones that survive my winters in zone 5:) Well, actually, I love the following: Shirasawnum 'Aureum' I am in total agreement, I love it, Beni Schichihenge, I love Osakazuki, Beni Otake, Inabe Shidare, Verdis, Shishigashira, and I think I'm really going to love Shaina (it's small yet, but seems to be vigorous and colorful all season). Oh and Emperor 1 is fantastic, too.
    I think I am going to try to do about a 4 day road trip to Topiary Gardens this summer.
    Kay