lucky bamboo

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Stickman000, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Stickman000

Stickman000 Active Member

I've got some lucky bamboo, but it's not growing very well. How can I make it grow faster?

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Is your lucky bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana) in water, or soil? I have one in soil and one in water.

Dracaena's aren't really fast growers.
    Lucky bamboo does well in bright indirect light, direct sun will burn the leaves, or make them turn yellow, so can not enough light.Some sites will state no fertilizer if it's in water, but I use a very small dilute amount every couple of months or so in the spring and summer months.

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

It would help a bit to know how you are growing the specimens now.

The scientific name is Dracaena sanderiana and the plant comes from Camaroon in tropical west Africa. Despite the fact it is commonly sold in a container of water, the species is not aquatic. It grows in moderately bright light in the understory of the rain forest. I've seen photos of the plant at six feet tall and it is relatively attractive. It looks very little like the "bamboo" canes when you buy it in store, largely since it isn't a bamboo. And its also not a palm. Its a member of the lily family. Growers in southern Florida who plant it in their yards have produced plants that are quite nice. However, it is tropical, so don't try to plant it outdoors in colder climates.

Generally, rain forest species grow in very loose, fast draining soil. The majority enjoy damp roots, but not wet. Obviously, this one can live for longer periods of time in water since growers have figured out a neat way to sell a lot of them by implying it is a bamboo and putting it in a jar.

Tell us how you are growing it now and perhaps we can help you figure out how to grow better.