Conflicting watering info for new Autumn Blaze Maple...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by gillart, May 12, 2007.

1. gillart

gillart Member

Hi all! Just planted a new Autumn Blaze Red Maple in my front yard. My question is very basic but I can't seem to find consistent answers on the web. HOW OFTEN/HOW SHOULD I WATER IT? I didn't plant it too deep and I put some root stimulator in the hole and about 2-3 inches of mulch on top. THANKS.

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

If you use pine bark(or another )around the trunk every 2 or 3 days 20 gallon of water.I live in zone 9,if you live in another zone 7,8 is good 10 gallon every 3 days .alex

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. joecat

joecat Active Member

I just read the above fact sheet "Horticultural techniques for successful plant establishment" and it says only to dig as deep as the root ball, and not to disturb the soil at the bottom of the hole. I've been digging up and amending the soil below the plant for a while now. Is this wrong? Are there different treatments for different plants?

The one reason I can see for not digging up the soil below the plant is to ensure that it doesn't settle, making the plant end up lower than where you want it. Are there other reasons?

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The best earth for Jm is present in Japan and only in little others zone ,for me if we cultivate Jm(or another plant "not native") , the soil it must be worked and stimulate whit natural prodcut (I prefere)for recreate good conditions..if you coltivate native plant of Canada no problem ;this is my idea of garden ,of course in forest no mine hole for trees!alex

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Soil amendments in planting holes have been seen to not produce a benefit for quite awhile now. ESTABLISHMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF LANDSCAPE PLANTS, Carl E. Whitcomb (1987 (1991), Lacebark):

"Research findings and new technology are slow to be incorporated into nursery and landscape practices. Tradition is important and has a distinct place in our society, however, blind allegiance to tradition stymies progress. In 1968, a study was begun to determine the 'optimum' amount of soil amendments to use in the planting hole since recommendations varied from 5% to 50% by volume. The optimum amount turned out to be none."

"Use no soil amendments except in very specific conditions of raised or amended beds for plants with very limited root systems. If the existing soil is very poor, remove and replace with good field soil or place at least six inches of good field soil on the surface. However, you should match soil types as backfilling with good sandy loam in a heavy clay will serve as a collection point for water and the roots will suffocate. Soil amendments in a small planting hole do not assist plant establishment and growth. It is better to use the amendments as a mulch. The only exception is where the entire plant root zone for many years can be amended."

http://www.lacebarkinc.com/establish.htm