Help with Lucky Bamboo

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by GAHMH, Jun 24, 2007.

1. GAHMH

GAHMH Member

I have had my lucky bamboo for only a couple of months, it has some sort of insect problem, a single strand of web on it, and also some bumps on the stems (probably scale) my question is how to take care of this problem. I have washed my plant with soapy water, careful not to let the soap get on any of the roots, I plan on doing this again in five days, at least 3-4 treatments, I have washed the vase, and rocks with the soapy water. I read to do this on this website, for spider mite, will this also kill scale? I prefer not use the insecticide soap unless that is my only option. Thank you in advance for your help. My other house plants are having insect problems and I treated them with a systemic, I have recently purcased several new plants and may have bought home an infected plant, also I have had my windows open quite a bit this year, not sure why I am having these insect problems, what causes them.

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that no one caught this thread and responded with an offer to help. I was doing some research and just happened upon your question. So I'll see if I can help a bit.

The scientific name of your plant is Dracaena sanderiana and the plant comes from Camaroon in tropical west Africa. Despite the fact it is commonly sold in a container of water, the species is not aquatic. It grows in moderately bright light in the understory of the rain forest. I've seen photos of the plant at six feet tall and it is relatively attractive. It looks very little like the "bamboo" canes you buy it in the store, largely since it isn't a bamboo. And its also not a palm. Its a member of the lily family.

Growers in southern Florida who plant it in their yards have produced plants that are quite nice. However, it is tropical, so don't try to plant it outdoors in colder climates.

Generally, rain forest species grow in very loose, fast draining soil. The majority enjoy damp roots, but not wet. Obviously, this one can live for longer periods of time in water since growers have figured out a neat way to sell a lot of them by implying it is a bamboo and putting it in a jar.

Your best option to eradicate spider mites is to raise the humidity around the plant. If you've got it in water, that should have solved the problem. But perhaps, not helped the plant since it isn't truly aquatic. If you've moved the plant to a pot with soil this may help.

First, the soil should be fast draining. You can use a "moisture control" soil mix and then add a handful of orchid bark and gravel such as Schultz orchid potting mix to help keep it loose. Keep the soil damp, but not soggy. Then find an attractive tray of some sort you can fill with gravel and place beneath the pot. Fill that tray with water as well. The humidity rising around the plant should discourage the spider mites.

But, you may have to treat the plant with a good insecticidal soap first. It is harmless, won't harm the plant, and also is safe for the environment. Sometimes, it is simply necessary.

As for scale, that is a much tougher situation. If you have scale you can attempt to pick each insect off and destroy it. But you've likely got eggs and those will soon produce new plant eating bugs. Some growers give the plant a bath consisting of alcohol mixed with water. I'm not personally crazy about the idea since I've seen it do damage to the plant. But it will work. Just was the plant well to get rid of the alcohol.

As bad as you may not wish to do it, you may have to resort to some sort of stronger remedy. A good plant oil sprayed on the plant liberally (mixed with water) for a week or two may control the scale. I've had to fight them for a month sometimes to get rid of them but eventually you'll get the upper hand.

The name "lucky bamboo" comes from lovers of Feng Shui. Growers of this oriental gardening technique often use the plant but they don't grow it in water. They grow it in the soil.

Hope this helps. And sorry we all missed your question!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  3. GAHMH

GAHMH Member

Thank you for your response, my plants did not have scale, but did have the mites, I used the insecticidal soap and so far so good. Thank you very much.