Tangerine tree leaves all gone!!!

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Thomas30000, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Thomas30000

Thomas30000 Member

Hi,
    My sister has a tangerine tree she planted in the back yard, we live in Miami Fl. All of a sudden it has no leaves at all. Not even one. I believe it did this last year as well. Is this normal? I dont water it every day, but maybe at least three or four times a week, and not more than 20 or 30 seconds each time, a good soaking though. I dont believe I'm overwatering it at all. But I dont believe I'm underwatering it either. Three or four months ago, it had plenty of leaves??? Its at least 4 ft tall, and probally 3 yrs old. But has never, to my knowledge produced any fruit yet, also is that normal?

My sister goes up North every June and expects me to watch over her plants for her.I dont want her to kill me when she comes back and sees no leaves on it. Important: It DOESNT look dead. The limbs although they dont have any leaves arent brittle and are not rotten looking like they have died. What advise can anyone give me?
    As far as sunlight, it gets at a min, of about 4 to 5 hours a day where it is.

Should I just keep watering it even though it has no leaves? And most importantly how can I tell if its really dead? It would be nice if someone else in Miami who has one maybe could respond, but anyone who can answer will be appreiciated. Thanks, Thomas