Apple Identifiers at Apple Fest?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Eric La Fountaine, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

My wife and I recently purchased a house in North Vancouver and inherited a wonderful, albeit old, apple tree in the back yard. I have diligently cared for the 'old gal' over the past few seasons and have managed to get her to bear fruit again. (last season I only had 4 or 5, this year I have over 20.) The apples are large, green/red, very sweet, juicy and are usually not ready for picking until late October early November. Would there be someone at the apple festival who may be able to identify the variety for us? (stupid question?) Brian Minter says trees so old should either be cut for fire wood or maintained for esthetic value. (I think she has more fruit left in her than he thinks!) I have been told with apples so delicious we should be looking into grafting to a younger tree.
    Thanks for your time and info.
    Vic Marchiel
    North Vancouver

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, members of The Vancouver Island-based BC Fruit Testers Association will be on hand to identify your apples at the Apple Festival. They can also help with information about grafting so maybe you can rejuvinate your apple tree with a new root system. Apple Festival is scheduled for October 16 and 17. Hope you can attend.

3. Vic Marchiel

Vic Marchiel Member

Thanks

Thanks Eric

Will do. I will probably bring a sample, although it may be a little early, as well as a cutting of leaf and branch.