New Meyer Lemon-leaf curl?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by AllieInCali, Mar 18, 2007.

1. AllieInCali

AllieInCali Member

I found this site while doing a google search on New Meyer Lemon leaf curl. Our tree is outdoors and in a large container (we are in Northern CA) and is about 3.5 years old. We had a decent crop of small lemons in December/January. Our tree is currently covered in buds and flowers (hundreds of them)--it smells wonderful! To get to the point, the leaves are all beginning to curl and those that are still "flat" are turning yellow. We monitor the amount of water using a moisture meter and add a small amount of miracle grow every month or so. We have found grasshoppers on the tree, making a buffet out of the leaves. What could be causing the leaf curl---is it a problem---and why are the leaves yellowing? Does it need more nitrogen? More water? Less water? More sun? My husband and I are moderately experienced novices in the garden. :)

We also have a "mulch mat" over the top of it to protect it from the horribly hot summers we experience in the Sacramento area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alison

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I am not familiar with a mulch mat, but mulch is not good for citrus as it encourages root rot. Soil should be allowed to dry at least 2-3 inches deep before watering and most established inground citrus only need watering during a drought.

Skeet

3. AllieInCali

AllieInCali Member

Hmmm...we consulted the Sunset gardening book before purchasing the mulch mat and it says mulch is good--"since citrus roots grow near the surface as well as deeper, a mulch over the soil is beneficial. Use a 2-3 inch layer of compost or other organic matter to help maintain soil moisture."

Now I am really confused! Again, we have tons and tons of buds and flowers--more than we have ever seen on the tree. I read on another site that the leaf curl is normal. We will just wait and see and continue feeding and watering. Thank you for trying to help us :)

4. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I am certain that most of the true experts that frequent this site as well as the citrus forum will tell you that mulch, if used, should be kept at least a foot from the trunk of the tree. The problem is that it promotes root rot or Phytophythora which can kill the tree.

Citrus trees bloom in response to stress and that could be contributing to your trees heavy bloom.

As for leaf curl, I have not paid much attention to that on my trees, leaf drop, however, can be more serious-- especially when the petiole stays on the tree. A few older leaves falling is normal, but they typically fall with the petiole.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re the mulch it does work in the dry conditions as has been proven here during our 9 year drought. However you need to keep mulch away from the graft of the stem as that will cause rot. A good soaking once a week seems to be the go around here. I have created a trench at the edge of the leaf canopy and all inside is mulched. I suspect we may have similar weather to Sacramento. Sort of very hot dry summer to cool winter.

Liz

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Skeeterbug, is correct. It is best not to mulch Citrus. However, if you do use mulch under the drip line of the tree, be sure that you keep the mulch at least 12 inches from the tree's trunk. Mulch encourages a high moisture level, which causes many problems if the trees trunk remains wet for an extended time.

Millet
    Joe Sakic No. 19
    Colorado Avalanche
    Birth: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

7. AllieInCali

AllieInCali Member

Thank you to all that responded to my post. Our citrus tree is about 3 years old and has been in a container since we purchased it. As it grew, we moved it to larger containers to allow for root growth. The mulch mat allows the roots to breathe---and we cut about two inches around the trunk. It is not near the trunk at all. I did speak to the master gardener at the nursery where we purchased the tree. He let me know that the tree is acting normally, given the colder than normal winter (more freezes than average--milder otherwise) we experienced. He was able to describe the look of my tree (without seeing it) over the phone. He said that in a few weeks, I should prune the dried tips of the branches and I should begin to see new leaf growth. I also asked about the mulch mat and he said it should be fine. We experience 100+ degree summers in our area (minimal humidity) so this will help to keep the roots from frying (literally).

Again--thank you so much for taking the time to post. I am glad to know there is a forum such as this one!

Allie

8. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

A mulch mat works better for Citrus in the ground
    for cold resistance, to trap heat than it will work for
    limiting heat in a container. For Citrus, you want
    the roots to be warm. Let the surface roots breathe
    and allow the surface roots to dry out on occasion
    while the tree is confined to a container or you will
    be asking for trouble with this Lemon later. Having
    the mat in place helps prevents the free movement
    of oxygen from entering into the soil. A mulch mat
    after a liquid fertilizer application with a Nitrogen
    component can trap the subsequent methane gas in
    the roots and can cause the root hairs to burn out on
    you as the mat will help prevent the natural liberation
    of the rising gas to escape out of the container.

"since citrus roots grow near the surface as well as
    deeper, a mulch over the soil is beneficial. Use a 2-3
    inch layer of compost or other organic matter to help
    maintain soil moisture."

The above advice better applies for trees in the ground,
    is not good advice for Citrus grown in a container. The
    potting soil medium in the container already serves as
    a mulch. Some composts can be lethal to Citrus. A
    store bought sanitized Redwood compost is far better
    than an aged garden compost will be at any time for
    your Lemon grown in a container. I'd use no more
    than a 2" layer of a Redwood compost placed over
    the surface roots or apply a 2" potting soil medium
    containing ground fir and/or ground pine bark instead..

Let's see what the actual curl to the leaves looks like.
    If you can post a photo or two of the tree it will be
    helpful to better access what is going on with your
    Lemon.

Jim

9. Ellen S

Ellen S Member

Allie -- How did it work? Do you still have a Meyer lemon after last winter and last summer?

Any thoughts on mulching a Meyer lemon in the ground for five months here in 8b/9a? It's on the S side of the house, protected from our nasty E winds, gets sun when there is any in SW Washington. Mulch mat? (those of you who haven't found mulch mats: Walmart has them for about $10, elsewhere a little smaller for $20) Leaf mold? thanks Ellen S

10. AllieInCali

AllieInCali Member

Hi Ellen,

The Meyer lemon is doing pretty well. We have about 40 good size lemons turning yellow right now. I can't wait to pick and juice them. Everyone is getting lemon bread for Christmas this year! We have a mulch mat on ours and it seems to keep the roots on the top of the soil from frying in the heat here (as it can be over 100 degrees for a few days in a row). Good luck with yours and thanks for checking in!

11. Ellen S

Ellen S Member

Hi Allie --

That was a quick answer! What USDA zone are you in? I think you wrote that you are near Sacramento. How cold does it get in the winter?

When I lived in San Diego we had a Meyer lemon and loved it. Also had a Mexican lime (a.k.a. key lime) and loved it equally. It had limes all the time. I used to make lime sherbet and M lemon sherbet in the summer. Meyers will freeze and be fine to use later on, too. Easier to grate the skin if they are frozen.

Ellen