Identification: Mushroom in our lawn

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by desol, Jul 28, 2010.

1. desol

desol Member

Hello

This is my first post on the forum. I'm home visiting my folks in Saskatchewan and practically overnight this strange mushroom popped up in the lawn. She said it only comes up in this one spot on the lawn. I was wondering if anyone can identify this mushroom as being edible or poisonous?

Here's a pic of it:

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

You have the dog stinkhorn, Mutinus elegans.

3. desol

desol Member

Thanks Mycorob...that's exactly what it is.

Some other interesting info:
    "According to Simon & Schuster’s guide to Mushrooms, the Dog Stinkhorn arises from a white or pale yellow “egg” and is covered by a fetid slime. Mmmmm. Not surprisingly the edibility is listed as “of no interest”. Elsewhere I read that the slime attracts flies which pick up the mushroom’s spores and deposit them elsewhere helping to spread this one around. I found two in my side bed, one next to a small rhubarb and one near the highbush cranberry. These are about the size of your pinky in length and diameter but some text says they can get several times that size. Strange critter indeed."

Indeed true. I noticed that there was a bunch of flies walking on them. Hmph.

4. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Oh these Stinkhorns are fabulous! I love the smell when you walk in a damp forest!