Phosphate Build Up

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Bernie, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Bernie

Bernie Member

The maples at my Family's nursery were sprayed with a liquid phosphate spray earlier today. The phosphate was accidentally applied at a concentration 16 times the desired level. Other then attempting to flush it out with massive quantities of water, does anyone have ideas on how to ward off salt poisoning.

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Bernie,

You say sprayed--so we can assume this is foliar? You say flushing? As in flushing out the the soil or container? How much would have actually accumulated in the soil? I would think irrigating the leaves would be your only option. I also don't think that anything terribly harmful will come of it.

How many plants? What is the overall purpose of the phosphate spray?

regards,

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

"The result of phosphate overfertilizing is leaf chlorosis. Phosphorus is known to compete with iron and
    manganese uptake by roots, and deficiencies of these two metal micronutrients causes interveinal
    yellowing. It's my belief that many of the chlorotic shrubs we see in urban landscapes are suffering
    indirect iron (or manganese) deficiency from overapplication of phosphorus. Moreover, it has been
    experimentally demonstrated that high levels of phosphorus are detrimental to mycorrhizal health and
    lower the rate of mycorrhizal infection of root systems."

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Phosphate.pdf

4. Bernie

Bernie Member

Thanks for the help!

Yes, the spray was foliar. The irrigation system is all overhead, so it would hit the leaves. It was two greenhouses that were sprayed.

I read the WSU extension site in its entirety, interesting!