Rhododendrons: New to Rhododendrons, Need References

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by campanula, Jun 8, 2006.

1. campanula

campanula Member

Hello,

Last year I sheet-composted an area with intent to plant kalmia and rhododendrons in a "cascade" effect, kind of sprawling their way down the small hill. Of course I failed to research the plants first!

This year, the sheet-composted area is nicely broken down and incorporated a bit into the ground below. pH is 5.5 to 6.5-it varies from one section of the bed to another. I plan to top dress with more tasty compost before adding plants.

I need help finding places to read about the rhododendrons! I've searched online a great deal and scanned a few library books for specific answers to my queries. Haven't found the answers yet.

Rhodos generally indicate particular hardiness zone(s) or temperature ranges for cold tolerance, but not heat tolerance. I live where winters are cold and long, but summers can be devilish hot and humid. Low temps can go to -15 on bitter days, and highs can go to nearly 38 on the hottest days. Those are the extreme ends of my range. What effect does wind chill have on hardiness? It's windy here but I've planned this particular garden in a well protected spot-nary a breeze to ruffle their leaves. They have the morning sunshine then high dappled shade from around noon on. All the rhodos I've seen around here seem robustly healthy, but not one is planted on a slope. They're all in level ground. I wonder if levelling their spot by use of a wall would be better for them, and forget the cascade effect.

Well. Sorry to unload all the questions here. Figured if you knew the sorts of questions I have you could direct me to certain publications.

Thanks for any ideas!

2. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

They do not like winds. In their natural state, they grow in sheltered areas, and the edges of forests.

3. campanula

campanula Member

Neat handle, Nifty Niall!

The intended spot for this garden is "a well protected spot-nary a breeze to ruffle their leaves". I had learned that protection from winds is vital. Thankfully there are a few wind-sheltered places round the property. This prepared spot is the largest of those sheltered spots, and the only one offering high shade after morning. That high shade is from mature hickories a short distance from the far rear of the bed. I don't suppose their dropping nuts will be very nice for rhodos, though.

What I'd like to get my hands on is some sort of reference that goes beyond the basics (which can be easily gleaned from what I have already found). I want answers to particular questions, as asked in that original post. Maybe I ought to have asked: What are your favourite rhododendron books and web-sites? Which of you might offer an opinion on my specific questions? Who wants to share their experiences? Who wants to put up with my ignorance? I guess I failed to ask my questions in a format allowing people to understand what those questions were. I am sincerely sorry about that. It's better that I find answers on my own, and with limited time for libraries and web-surfing, it's best to get specific titles or sites.

See why I started out asking for reference material instead of answers from forum members? : ) Thanks for any help!

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

6. campanula

campanula Member

These are great! I can see it'll be hard to select particular references-but, like anything else, also best to have a variety of references.

Tonight I do some serious study and research-and order the books to back it all up.

Thanks to both of you. I hope to someday participate here as an experienced and successful rhododendron grower.