Anyone know DEFINITIVE answer for when to prune ornamental cherries?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by wynn, Jan 29, 2007.

1. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

There seems to be 2 main beliefs out there as to the best time to do pruning of ornamental cherries (while dormant around Jan or right after blooming). These are mature trees (approx. 20' high) and are in need of being shaped (reduce crown) and some larger crossed branches removed. Please! What is the latest science say about this for our rainy, fungal(y) climate. I hope I don't get answers promoting both approaches or I'll still be in a fog about it! Anything definitive?

Wynn

2. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

I prune mine in winter while I can see the structure. I follow up with lime sulpher dormant oil at least twice if possible before leaf out.

So far, so good.

WCG

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

The reason for both answers is that it's up to you - the later date is because people don't want to cut off their flowers (that year), so wait til afterwards, the earlier one is thought to strengthen the tree by encouraging new growth that's not spent on flowering (that year).

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I did a few today, sacrificing some blooms though.

5. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

I don't really sacrifice the blooms. I cut the branches into reasonable lengths, put them in water in the house, and "poof" (well not quite poof, but you get the idea) I have a vase of blooms in the middle of winter. :-)

There is usually enough to share with friends and neighbours.

WCG

6. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for replies. Does anyone have any good "health" reasons for doing it at either time of the year? Is is more prone to bleeding or fungal infection when done in dormant season (which is also the wettest time)? Thanks!

7. oscar

oscar Active Member

Silver leaf disease can be a problem with cherries, (here in the uk) so, after flowering is the best time here.