Straightening a tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Pulione, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Pulione

Pulione Member

We have a 8 year old Peach tree, that the trunk is starting to bend. The reason for the bend is the prevailing wind forcing the canopy of the tree to the north west. I have put a pressure post anchored from the ground to try and force it back to it's straignt position, is there any other method that is more efficient.

2. biggam

biggam Active Member

I'm not sure if there's a way to totally avoid some bending. Maybe some pruning so the canopy is less dense would help a little. Is the tree trained/pruned to an open-center? Perhaps if you posted a picture, it would help somebody envision a solution.

3. Pulione

Pulione Member

Thanks for the reply, we did as you suggested on Saturday. The tree had never been pruned and a lot of the canopy was both high and leaning due to the wind. Finally we pruned it, opening up the centre and reducing some of the weight from the NW side, hopefully this will help.
    I had thought of trying a guy wire type of set up, but it is nearly impossible to accomodate due to the space the tensor would take up.
    I will look and see how to post a picture of what we have done and see if I can post it for you.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  4. biggam

biggam Active Member

This thread has instructions for uploading a picture.
    Sounds like it was ready for some pruning. Two at my mom's house were so heavy with peaches last year that the main limbs broke off. Making a clean cut of those branches was about all that could be done -lesson- a little pruning every year can save a major restoration job in the future! This website has an overview of general fruit pruning concepts.
    By the way, what variety is your peach tree?