Peach tree Zone 4

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Mom from Minnesota, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Mom from Minnesota

Mom from Minnesota Member

I live in the Minneapolis Minnesota area (zone 4) and have purchased a Semi Dwarf Peach Tree "Western Pride". I can not find any information on it any where. I really need help. I bought it from Home Depot and only paid $10.00 so I figured I could take a chance. I know nothing about peach trees. I would love a photo to see a mature size tree. Right now it stands 8' in the pot. I don't know where to plant it, care tips or zone information. (I did read somewhere that it was hardy to zone 4). Please help this new fruit tree owner.

2. finhntr

finhntr Member

The name of this tree is Prunus Persica western pride I think is a common name try this link http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROLOGY/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=309
    I have a tree also it grows really fast and I had peaches the second year ,I bought the tree fron a diamond home improvement store . bare root and only 16 inches tall.
    I really like this tree but it grows like a weed.
    Tim finhntr

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

In my experience, peach trees can be quite iffy in zone 5, if temperatures go too low for any length of time, and I can't see them doing well in zone 4.

4. finhntr

finhntr Member

The tag I have with my peach tree says the cold hardeness is minus 20 to minus10
    Maby later I can scan in the tag and post it on the thread.
    finhntr

5. kia796

kia796 Active Member

If you haven't already planted it, please consider planting it under the eaves on the south side of house. Fewer problems than when it's out in the open.

Here's an article: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/203850_ciscoe16.html
    the section you'll want to read is at the bottom of page, called "Eaves Drop on an old English Idea".

Good luck with your tree.

6. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Holy cow, just noticed original date of posting was August 2006...guess it's planted by now!