Who knows this plant ?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Markus Soellner, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Markus Soellner

Markus Soellner Member

Can somebody please help me to identify this plant ? It is growing in our garden and I have no idea what it is.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Markus Soellner

Markus Soellner Member

Thank you so much for your help, we really appreciate that. I like that name: Voodoo Lily :-)

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Notice the aborted(?) inflorescence poking out of the ground, near the base of the leaf stalks. I just saw some potted stock at a local plant sale, that seemed also to have had the same occurrence. Maybe this is sometimes unable to complete its flowering outdoors in our climate.

The dramatic one seen much more often here is dragon arum (Dracunculus vulgaris). People on the internet want to call this voodoo lily as well. It flowers up at the top of the stem, and produces a much larger, more impressive inflorescence.

It used to be that the shops had the Sauromatum, but not the Dracunculus. Now it is the other way around. The voodoo lily would flower directly off the tuber, while sitting in the bins (if not purchased soon enough) and produce a slenderish, spotted spathe that might in time bend back to leave the spadix sticking up by itself.