What plant is this. Cool and unique

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jlwoodford, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jlwoodford

jlwoodford Member

I bought a plant from Home Depot. It is from the Exotic Angel Plant Co. It claims to be a Philodendron Mican. I have looked up photos of them and it isn't that I believe. It is producing two very different types of leaves and two different types of flowers. One leaf is elongated and a dark purple underneath and on top it is a dark green with scalloped edges that curl up a bit. The second leave is a vivid bright green that is textured and has small hairs on it. The veins on this leave are a dark purple. The light green leaf is producing two types of flowers. First it produced and still is this delicate lacy type flower in small clumps. The second flower that recently appeared is light pink with white under tones, grows in a small group and is seed like in shape. The plant at first looked like one that just grows straight up in a pot. However the darker leaves now want to hang like a hanging plant with leaf growth spreading farther apart on each stem. The lighter leaf seems to be okay growing up and standing on its own. It appears they are the same plant when I look at the root ball (don't think it is two plants together). It loves low light and I need to water daily. I have two pictures of the plant. Thanks for the help. I want to know how to better care for my plant and to find out if it needs to be hung as well.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

You have two different plants in the pot. The textured leaf is Pilea, probably 'Moon Valley'. I don't know what the other is, but agree it does not look like Philodendron hederaceum syn. P. micans.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The other one might be Hemigraphis exotica, Purple Waffle Plant.