My Water Hyacinths are Dying!

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Paulina, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    Any ideas on why my water hyacinths (Eichornia crassipes) are dying? They were in our pond which gets morning sun and a bit of afternoon sun. They started to brown so I took them all out and put them in a giant tub of water in full sun, and still not looking good after a week. In fact, they're slimy and the leaves come right off. Our other pond plants are doing really well.

I've had the water hyacinths for a few months and they've doubled in size, so it's not like they're in new water and in shock or anything.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They've been chilled by the cooler temperatures as summer draws to a close.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yup, Ron B is telling the truth, cool nights and less sun intensity = end of life cycle for water hyacinths and lettuce here. If you were in FLA they might take the winter... but then they have to battle Manatees for real estate.

4. Paulina

Paulina Active Member

Upper Fraser Valley, Beautiful British Columbia!
    So should I bring them indoors then, or do they come back in the spring after being dormant in the winter? I was told they were winter hardy and I wouldn't have to take them out over the winter when I bought them.

5. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Hi Paulina, My water hyacinths are dying back also. I also beleive due to the drop in temps. I am going to try putting them in a tank with a florescent light over it inside and see if they make it through. I don't know about the Upper Fraser Valley, but they are quite expensive here in the North Okanagan. Good Luck! Deb:)

6. Rima

Rima Active Member

They were never meant to be perennial (or hardy) - I tried bringing mine inside, but it didn't work.

7. Debra Dunaway

Rima, Did you use lights over them? Just wondering if worth the time or effort. Deb

8. Rima

Rima Active Member

Not the lights I use over my bonsai (or tropicals), but there was a good amt.

9. Debra Dunaway

Well, I've brought my brood inside in a fishtank with a full spectrum light overhead and will let you know results as it goes.....critical thinker here! Wish me LUCK! Deb:)

10. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

We've overwintered them indoors in ponds under metal halide lights, and they've done reasonably well. Under fluorescent lights, they have survived until spring. However, since they are fairly cheap and readily available here in spring, there's not much point to overwintering.
    By the way, if you are having trouble finding them at garden centers, check the local pet and aquarium stores, if there are any in your area.

11. Debra Dunaway

I guess I'll have to pick some up in the late spring when we usually go through there. They cost you an arm and a leg here! lol Deb:)

12. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Strange that water hyacinths are "fairly cheap" in Calgary, and expensive in the Okanagan. I saw water lilies at the nursery last summer, they were $59.00 for ONE plant. I'll try the aquarium/pet stores this spring, thanks for the tip.

13. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

waterlillies range from about $40 and up near here, water hyacinth and lettuce usually run about 4 to 6$ each.

14. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

To keep water hyacinths alive and healthy enough for next year's growth, I calculated that I will need about 100 kWh for the 7 months it will stay under lights and heating in my home built propagator (4X4 40 watt fluorescent tubes, and a 200 watt heating cable, asssuming average of 10 hours on, 14 hours off), at a cost of about $5-6 (probably an unestimate). Water hyacinths in our local landscape supply sources cost about that much or even less for a small plant. Therefore, I treat tham like annuals, and reserve the space in the propagator for hard to come by seedlings.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  15. kia796

kia796 Active Member

So I'll pass on water lillies, and get water hyacinths. The fish will like the shade! Thank you.

16. pluggin

pluggin Member

Try a koi store

Same problem here and I'm in Socal, my pond is just too shady for the winter mths. One fortunate thing is we have a large koi store just down the street and they sell them and lettuce, we got 2 of ea for about $5.00 total. So if ur in socal which im sure we have more sources than most :) u can search Westminster, Koi.