Hedges: Inside Branches of Small Cedar Hedge Dead/Dying

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by DianeLewis, Jun 29, 2015.

1. DianeLewis

DianeLewis Member

I have a small cedar hedge (4 plants about 6 ft. high) that provide privacy. However, the inside branches seem to be dead or dying. I have pruned the hedge (from about 8 feet to 6 feet so sun can get inside) and have added mulch at the bottom. I have also pruned the sides. The outside is growing well and a little bit of greenery seems to be starting on the inside branches, but then turns brown. I do not see any insects. There is a lot of rain and the hedge has enough moisture. I don't know what to do next to help the inside branches to grow back. I have very little privacy now. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Only certain conifers like yew can grow back well from stubs or stumps, the usual thing is for the trees to consist of outer layers of green growth with the interior going bare over time and remaining so. If you cut back too far you will be left with a "dead zone" as there will be little or no production of new shoots in response.

3. DianeLewis

DianeLewis Member

Thanks so much for your reply. I did not realize that the bare interior was normal. Very much appreciated.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A successfully managed sheared hedge of normal good health not cut back too far at any time should be presenting a solid surface throughout. A key point with sheared hedges is to cut the upper part to be narrower than the bottom so this lower section does not start opening up, due to shading.