each leaf is brown tipped

Discussion in 'Maples' started by copperbeech, Jul 31, 2014.

1. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

I planted this Filigree Green Lace about 5 weeks ago.

As you can see each leaf has a brown tip and this has been the case for the past several weeks. I see no loss of leaves.

It cannot be due to excessive sun as this location gets just a bit of direct sun early in the day and the rest of the time it is dappled.

I wouldn't think it is a symptom of transplant shock as it has been an unusually moderate summer (temperature wise) with lots of moisture but still enough sun...perfect for planting.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The roots will take some time to settle in to the new location. I think the existing rootball was just running at maximum capacity to keep the leaves hydrated and it just couldn't quite keep up on occasion (say a hot windy day) and the extremeties suffered. I wouldn't worry about this type of damage on a newly planted tree, especially as no leaves have been lost. The only time to be concerned is if it gets majorly worse.

3. copperbeech

Thanks for the reply. I would agree with you if it was any other summer but this season it has been consistently wet with cooler temps...outstanding conditions for planting.

4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Copperbeech, if you only planted it 5 weeks ago, even with the ideal conditions, I would still likely chalk it up to a bit of transplant shock - especially if you messed with the rootball at all. I'm on my second Filigree (my favorite green dissectum), and both seem to be a bit touchy when it comes to being moved and/or having the roots messed with. They both have done just fine after settling in, but they do seem to be a tad on the sensitive side, at least in my experience.

5. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

Personally I believe in planting trees and shrubs in either spring or fall, not summer. These are the seasons the plant naturally focuses on root development.

6. copperbeech

Probably true. Thanks.

7. copperbeech

It was planted in June in a shady location and the weather this July has been wet and cool...classic planting weather.