Decisions, Decisions...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Jul 17, 2014.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I am faced with a conundrum, and don't know what to do!

Locally, one of the nurseries is having a sale on Saturday, 50% off all trees (including Japanese maples). They have two that I am quite interested in, both in 15g cedar boxes: Red Dragon, roughly 5' tall by 4' wide; and Villa Taranto, easily 5-6' tall and wide, multi-trunked close to the base. I've attached pictures off each. I should mention that I already one of each; my RD is about 2ft (high graft), but only one significant branch with a couple small other branches, and my VT is a few feet tall with a few decent branches, nice shape overall, just smaller.

I also have the potential (not guaranteed, but likely) to get a 3g Kumoi nishiki, about 3ft tall and well-branched. No picture of this one, but the person I would be getting from has seen it in person.

So, what should I do? Which tree should I get? I only have the money for one. If I do get one of the local trees, I do have to figure out where to put it, lol.

Attached Files:

2. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Maplesandpaws,

They both look very nice. If you like the red JM then you can't go wrong w/ RD else VT will show the yellow-orange color for you in the falls. I learned from Charlie to go with larger tree whenever I can afford it rather than the young grafted one. At least you can enjoy their full color and shape now.
    You may want to check with any gardeners in your area if they are interested to buy the others small RD and VT that you have so you can get both big trees.

Good luck, Steve

3. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

I love the shape of the Red Dragon. Both are nice trees but that one fits my eye better. Can't go wrong either way.

4. Samara

Samara Active Member Maple Society

5. Samara

Samara Active Member Maple Society

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Good looking Red Dragon. I'm not wild about the shape of the VT but YMMV... On the other hand Kumoi nishiki is probably at the top of my want list (well, near the top!) so I'd go for that one without hesitation.

7. MrKimsMaples

MrKimsMaples New Member

Andrea,
    That is a good looking Red Dragon, that would be my choice. A nice little Villa Taranto is on my short list, if that helps.
    Johnsons?
    Kim

8. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

As pretty as the RD is - and it is pretty - it is not as nice as the one that the east location used to have; that one was stunning. Very balanced shape, wonderful flow and curve to the trunk (this one, while not ram-rod straight, is not as curvy as I would like)... I just keep comparing it to the other RD, a picture of which I posted earlier in a different thread (Worth it?) here. The VT is lovely, and fairly large. I probably do have a good spot for it in the yard, but it would require moving things around - not un-doable, but just an extra step. The price on both is the same, and a steal for either tree (with delivery, it would come out to about $200 or so).

But, I have decided to go with the Kumoi nishiki - a harder one to get, unique, and one I don't already have. :)

Kim - yes, Johnson's. Their Moonlight Madness sale is tomorrow only from noon to midnight; all trees, shrubs, etc, are 50% off. If you are looking for a nice VT - or any other tree for that matter - I can give you some names of nurseries I have ordered from who have great quality trees at very good prices.