New photo tour of our Japanese Maple Garden

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Dec 9, 2012.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The tree is a 15 year old Acer palmatum toyama nishiki that came from a local grower (they grow slower here, so a 15 year old tree grown in Oregon would be much larger). The guy who grafted it is a good friend of mine and I am going by his quoted age, because I have only had the tree for three years (he said it was 12 years old when I bought it).

Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed the photos. Yes, the tree in P5081641a is a Acer palmatum Sango Kaku.

Feel free to check out a video tour of our yard on YouTube:
    Front yard and Bonsai http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIAYGzykAk
    Back yard tour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRsrhBnXG5Q

2. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Thanks for the ID-- much appreciated.

I'm looking for a bright green JM for our yard, which is why I asked. I have a lot of colored JMs, but something is telling me that I'd like a nice calm patch of spring green in the yard. I can't decide on which variety to try, but I'd love it if I could achieve a bright green color like the Sango Kaku. Unfortunately here in 5b (possibly a 6 microclimate here or there), I don't want to gamble on Sango Kaku. I know too many people around here who have lost them.

My husband likes Koto No Ito, and a local nursery says they will do well here, but I'm unsure if I'd like the winter shape of it (it will be right outside a large picture window). I'm thinking of Kihachijo, A. s. Autumn Moon (we already have a A.s. Moonrise), or Mure hibari. Any thoughts on those?

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Can only comment on the later two, the A/S Autumn moon very nice cultivar lovely colours but does need protecting from the elements, aslo a very slow grower so you will not reap any benefits for a while unless you purchase a well established tree?

The Ki hachijo would be my option a very fast grower once established in the ground and also produce's a fascinating layered structure to it which will give you another focal point when growing. Can be planted basically anywhere, mine loves the full sun and at present i have suffered no problems what so ever with this tree, loves a good clip and bounces straight back even better the following year.

The best reason for picking this for me is the stunning fall colours which it produce's , a beautiful golden leaf tinged with a delicate pink/rose undertone colour very pretty if planted next to a bright red cultivar both will work well together, mine is next to an Oregon sunset so both compliment each other.

Again each to his own!! and i feel sure others will have their own favourites to choose.

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

In the back yard (in place of the now deceased Sango Kaku due to the longest and coldest winter on record) is Acer palmatum beni tsukasa. After a stunning Spring show it turns a nice green. Then in July it is green with subtle pink highlights. (See first photo, in center and very tall standing between the two back windows)

Another nice green choice with extremely interesting bark is Acer palmatum ibo nishiki. See the second photo.

Acer shirasawanum autumn moon is a great tree in the growing season, but mine stays more yellow than green. The third photo shows autumn moon early Summer foliage to the right and beni tsukasa foliage front and center for comparison.

Lastly, if you are considering Yellow, then consider Summer Gold. This tree gets better with each day that passes during the growing season, starting off as a bright green, with increasing yellow as the sun gets more intense. It takes cold, because its a shirasawanum and palmatum X. It also stands up to summer heat and sun extremely well. This time of year it is all yellow with orange highlights. Here is a photo of early Summer color showing mostly yellow, just before the orange highlights come out for midsummer. Last photo, center.

I can't speak for the others that you mentioned except koto no ito. Its amazing through out the growing season and the fall color is a bright orange, but it is not much to look at during winter.

Attached Files:

Purple_storm likes this.
  5. maplesmagpie

Ki hachijo was at the top of my list, so Roebuk I'm glad to hear enthusiasm about it. JT1, your choices and trees are lovely-- I'll have to do more research on those. Thank you!

You all have more experience than I do-- what do you think of Shin deshojo? The shape is lovely, the size is perfect, but does it ever turn truly green in the summer, or is it another mainly mixed-color tree? I see different reports and photos online. I'm also not sure about it's toughness and hardiness.

I think A. s. Autumn Moon is out, just because of the amount of sun the tree would get. It's sheltered from the hottest afternoon sun, but it would get sun all morning and early afternoon. At least for several years until a nearby saucer magnolia matures a bit more.

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

In our area autumn moon stands up to all day sun. Since you are further north, you should be okay. I chose beni t over shin-d with the help of emery. Not on my computer or else i would provide a link to the thread. It was started by me in april or may.

7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

8. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

I just picked up a Japanese Sunrise which looks very much like my Sango Kaku in summer form bit will have more yellow/orange bark and more orange in the fall display. It may be borderline for hardiness though.

9. maplesmagpie

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll look into them. Here is the thread JT1 mentioned: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=82587 That's interesting about Shin deshojo being lackluster after the big spring display... anyone else feel that way?

We definitely want a tree that achieves ALL green, preferably a light- to medium-green, tone in the summer. Good branch structure (for winter interest) is a must. With so much leaf color already in the yard, I think a large expanse of green will feel soothing. We have green dogwoods (pagoda, stellar), a saucer magnolia, a red oak (as well as Seriyu, Caperci's Dwarf, and Lemon Lime Lace), and while I love the riot of color and off-greens in the rest of our JMs, it feels like there's enough of it. Back to green.

We can get larger Autumn Moon locally, but the rest of these are rare enough that we'd have to start small or ship in. I'm waiting to see how our recently shipped maples do over the winter before committing to another large-ish one.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  10. aromanowski

aromanowski Member

Very, VERY BEAUTIFUL pictures. I think that the full sun makes it even nicer =)
    Which type of camera do you use JT? The pictures are really great (lets not get started on your garden hehe which is certainly an inspiration for us who are starting to appreciate the beauty of these trees)

Regards!
    Andres

11. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

maplesmagpie - I'm not sure where you've gotten your current trees from (ie, the ones you indicated were shipped in), but I would check Topiary Gardens. They are in Marcellus, NY, so same zone as you I believe, and Diana (the owner) has a lot of trees, larger ones too, that are not on her website. I would say a good half of my trees have come from her and I have never been disappointed in the quality, size or price, plus she's so friendly and helpful. She also guarantees her trees for a year, which not many places will. Whitman Farms in Oregon is another great source for quality, decently sized and priced trees; Lucile (owner) is great as well, and also guarantees her trees for a year. She too has trees that are not necessarily listed on her website.

12. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Dear JT,
    It is always felt warm to go thru your photos again & again esp. at this winter time to get ready for the upcoming Spring.
    From one of your sharing about pruning topic in this thread, I want to get more input from you if you can. I am sharping my pruning tools and can’t wait for Spring time.

Here what I have read and heard so far:
    1. It’s better to prune in late winter before the tree break out of their dormancy.
    2. It’s better to prune when the sap begins to flow in early Spring so the cut will be healing quicker.
    3. It’s better to prune after all the leaves come out so we can see exactly what the branches are growing to help shaping/lighting for the tree.

I understand there is not a best way or the only way but I would like to get your opinion as well as from others who have more experience in JM pruning to share with us.
    As always, THANKS.
    steven