Do you think this is unique enough to be a new introduction?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Aug 2, 2012.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Do you think this Acer palmatum is unique enough to be a new introduction? The leaves are for lack of better words variegated and they have almost a snake skin texture. This is my first year with the tree, it’s about 3’ tall and 1’ wide. The bark is green. It’s grown from a rooted cutting. A friend of mine discovered it and he has about 15 that all demonstrate the same characteristics. The oldest one is about 5’ tall and 2’ wide. Just wanted to put it out there to get some feedback from the forum. I will post a fall picture too.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well it's certainly distinct in how hideously diseased it looks . . . personally, I think it would be improved by a dose of herbicide to put it out of its misery ;-)

But then I'm well known for liking the natural wild type the best . . .

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well, if not beautiful, it is still interesting. I haven't seen any named cultivars that look the same, but maybe others have.

I like the maples with a fastigiate and/or narrow growth habit for growing in containers, do you have some photo's of the whole tree?

4. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I think it is!

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you all for your feedback! I agree it is not beautiful, but I think it is very cool and unusual. The leaf shape and color pattern is unlike anything I have seen. I do like the appearance of nice texture and color when viewed from a distance.

I snapped a few pics this morning. My wife deemed this her tree, so she picked out the only one with 3 trunks, so it's not quite true to form. But next time I am out at my friends growing field, I will take pictures of his oldest trees of this un-named variety.

Attached Files:

6. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

JT1, what happened with this tree? Close up it's really cool...