Stapelia Blossom Problem

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Alan W, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Alan W

Alan W Member

We visited Logee’s (Danielson, CT) two weeks ago and among the purchases was a Stapelia variegata that was in flower and another with a blossom not quite in flower. By that evening, the flower had closed and has never reopened. Also, the other's blossom gives all appearance of having dried up. We knew beforehand that these plants should be kept dry and followed that regime and I am at a loss as to how these buds went south on us so quickly. Logee’s is about an hour away and the plants were kept out of the sun on the trip home and weren’t overheated. Anyone raise these and have any ideas? Any experiences you’d like to share about watering success?

2. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

I am from Western, coastal India. I have Stapelia variegata & it blooms very regualrly in summer. In fact I have been able to get seed pods too.

Attached Files:

3. Alan W

Alan W Member

Would you kindly comment about your Stapelia's growing conditions - climate, temperature range, amount of direct or indirect sunlight, your watering regime, fertilizer, etc.? Many thanks!

4. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Here Humidity is from 40 to 80 %. Day-night temperatures are not very different, they vary between Min 25 to max 35 degrees celcius. I keep this plant in full sunlight. The planting edim is made from 3 parts sand, 1 part each of garden soil & farm yard manure. To this I added a handful of rice husk. No chemical fertlizers are given. Watering is done daily. But only to keep the soil just moist for 24 hrs. No excess of watering. Since winter are mild here the plants hardly go in to dormancy.

5. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

It sounds like it just went into a little bit of shock due to the change in environment. If the plant otherwise looks OK, then it'll come back and flower, but maybe not until next year.

I have one that I purchased about 3 years ago. It spends the winters indoor and summers outdoor in full sun. It is a small plant in a 8 inch pot. Indoors, I have heard they like to be watered from below. However, when outdoors, when it rains, it rains and I just let nature take its course. It flowers on new growth at least once a year, usually late summer around here. I have found, too, that the more mature the plant gets, the more the flowers stink and attract flies when outdoors. When flowering indoors, the odor is subtle, but you definitely know where it's coming from.

My succulent mix is 1/4 bonsai soil, 1/4 course sand (pool filter sand), 1/4 Miracle Grow potting soil, and 1/4 perlite. I'll throw in a little granular fertilizer and granular insecticide.

With succulents, I have found that a quick draining, open mix that dries out within a few days works out well. I can water more frequently with less risk of root rot. If you can keep the roots healthy, the rest of the plant usually does well.