Tibouchina looking much better!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by WendyI, Aug 20, 2005.

1. WendyI

WendyI Member

Well...turns out I'm not a very bright bulb! All the panick about the plant dropping leaves and when I did finally decide to move it from a glass container to a clay/ceramic with a drain, I relized that it was dry as a bone! I used very dry soil so any moisture I added must have just been absorbed by the soil and not the plant, in spite of the large amount of water I gave it! Then I was paranoid about overwatering so didn't water again! DUH!

Anyway...I transplanted, sprayed the roots with fungicide, removed any dying leaves and deadheaded the flowers. Then I put it outside where it would recieve only afternoon sun, watered until the water passed through the plant and have watered every other day since and it's doing GREAT!! I'm so HAPPY!!

Now onto my next question...how do I acclimate it to indoors? I want to make sure it doesn't get depressed when I bring it in from outside! Right now it's right outside my front door and I was planning on bringing it in tomorrow to just inside the door. I have sidelights so it would essentially get the same level of light. Then once it's used to being inside, I would move it to it's final home in an east facing window. Will this be enough light? There are also south facing windows so it will get several hours of light a day.

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I dont think u have to worry to much about bringing a plant from outside to inside as much as u do inside to outside .. the nights are cooler outside then inside .. and as long as it is gettin about the same light it should b ok .. if anyone else wants to confirm this let me/us know..lol

Marn

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

As your in Ontario, when the nights start to get colder, bring it in. When the days start keep it in. I think that the winter your plant won't look so hot, maybe even a bit leggy, don't feed it during the winter, as you want the new growth to hang on till spring.
    Carol Ja

4. the best way to winter them is not in the house but rather a unheated but frost free garage or crawl space. Bringing a tibouchina indoors will cause almost every single leaf and flower to drop within a few days leaving a bunch of dead looking sticks. prune them back hard to within a few inches of the main trunk put them in the garage and water lightly once a month. in the spring, repot and move back outside after last frost date. this will give you a much nicer plant next year