North Facing Balcony Garden on 8th Floor

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by mark4155, Jun 8, 2007.

1. mark4155

mark4155 Member

Hey! I know it's already getting late in the year, but I've been in my Apt. going on my 2nd full summer and still have a bare balcony!

I live in the Westend on the 8th floor and face North and a bit east, with only a little direct sunlight in the morning (during summer) and have decided to use the following vines to climb up the railing:

Akebia
    Star Jasmine
    Nelly Moss Clematis

I have about 12 feet and will use 4 x 2' planter boxes along the bottom of the rail. Can these 3 species go together, and can they be planted in the same planter boxes without a problem? Do they grow quickly? Are they a good and easy choice to cover the complete railing (12'x4')? Can they survive the winter outdoors? What's the best soil mix, drainage, and fertilizing for these?

I'm also planning on having another planter box and pots for flowering and non-flowering plants. I'm thinking of having:

Begonias
    Fushias
    Impatiens
    (and maybe Coleus and Mimulas)

My concern is whether or not it's too late in the year for some of these, and which ones would be recommended for starting end of June/early July to have throughout the summer and early fall.

I also want to have one or 2 potted trees. But I have no idea what kinds of trees will work and how big of pots I'll need. I'd prefer to have green all year round :)

I'm open to any suggestions for alternative choices.

Any help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Chloris

Chloris Member

I don't think it's too late in the year to plant up your pots.
    A lovely large shrub/small tree for shade is the Fatsia Japonica. It's an evergreen, tropical looking shrub with large shiny deeply lobed leaves. It's a tough shrub that thrives in our Pacific Northwest climate. Like all container plants, keep it well watered and fed. Otherwise it will cause you no problems. In the ground it can grow up to 12-15 feet tall and wide, but a large pot on your deck will keep it to a manageable size. The fatsia is readily available at any garden centre. Good luck!