Lemon tree troubles

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Staple, May 13, 2009.

1. Staple

Staple Member

Hello everyone I bought a Variegated pink eureka lemon tree this march and ever since (and partly because of this fourm) I have been able to keep it happy and healthy as far as I can tell. Untill a few days ago. Last week it started growing alot of new leaves and seemed to be doing wonderfully but maybe three days ago alot of the new leaves started drooping and wilting and today a bunch of leaves dropped off. All the older leaves seem to be doing fine and it has a couple fruit starting and 5 or 6 buds and seems other wise healthy. Since the summer started I have been watering it every other day I think im going to try watering it once a day for now and see if that helps. It gets sun for about 8 hours a day I think other wise its in some shade but that has semmed ok so far. So I dont know! Help please!

Attached Files:

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The reason the tree's new growth has a wilt, while the older growth does not, is because new citrus leaves have a much higher rate of transpiration than older leaves, thus new leaves loose water faster than the older foliage. With the limited amount of information that you supply, my guess is that the problem is caused over watering, especially if the tree has been growing in the same potting soil for an extended period of time. Wilting leaves are both caused from over watering, as well as under watering. Roots cannot absorb water, no matter how wet the soil is, if the soil oxygen level is low. When a container is watered, the water displaces the soil aeration, and if kept to wet the pores in the medium are filled with water, rather than oxygen. Watering every other day is over watering, unless you have a large tree in a very small container. Watering every day, unless the medium has absolutely EXCELLENT AND FAST drainage, will kill the tree. When a citrus tree is watered it should be thoroughly watered so 10 to 20 percent of the water applied drains out the bottom, then don't water again until the top 2-3 inches are rather dry. - Millet (1,347-)

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  3. Staple

Staple Member

Alright thank you I will let up on the watering and hope that helps.

4. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

I don't believe it has anything to do with watering. New growth is very tender and will wilt in direct sun until it has time to harden off. Check it at night and I bet it will be standing back up. To avoid this, try putting the plant in partial shade when it flushes until the new growth hardens off. Also variegated plants tend to have a hard time in direct sun as well. The white on the leaves tend to burn very easy. Your best bet is to keep the plant in partial shade all the time and it will do much better.

5. Staple

Staple Member

Well the reduction in watering hasnt seemed to make much of a difference but I have noticed that it all stands up again at night so I will try and find a better place to put it. Also a some of the newer leaves are yellowing/chlorotic could this just be from to much sun or is it not enough nutrients? I've been giving it some all purpose plant food I found in my garage its 10-10-10 every nine or ten days, should I be using something more specialized to citrus or lemon trees? Thank you for your help.

Also I'm pretty new at this so I'm not entirely sure what kind of information you need to help, so I apologize if I left/leave anything out.

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Check to see if the 10-10-10 fertilizer you are using also contains trace minerals. It is extremely important that you use a fertilizer that also contains trace minerals. If your 10-10-10 formulation contains trace minerals they will be listed on the face of the label Just below where Nitrogen, Phosphorous & Potassium are shown. - Millet (1,336-)

7. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

New flushes are always much lighter in color. They will darken up as they harden off.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  8. Staple

Staple Member

Yeah I know that they are usualy lighter but some of the leaves normal looking new leaves turned a distinctly yellow colour. My fertilizer doesint mention trace minerals on it anywhere so thats probably the problem, thanks again to you both.