Outdoor Plants Identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Cala Lily's mom, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Cala Lily's mom

Cala Lily's mom Member

These plants appeared all over my back yard (southern exposure, mostly shaded) this year. I saw only one or two last summer and a gazillion this year. I suspect a cedar mulch imported from the Pacific Northwest by K-Mart may be a carrier. We have had an excessive amount of rain this spring here in Kansas City. Prior to individual sprouting, soft, white, spider-sac-like things have been found in the soil.

The crimson-red phallic-shaped plants emerge (as shown in the attached picture), inflate, emit an eaux of rotting something or other, attract lots of flying insects, and then collapse to the ground where they dessicate. I assume they are ingesting the insects but have not observed that action. They do not look like any of the Venus flytrap, pitcher plant, exotic bug-eaters, etc.. I have seen.

In addition to wanting to name this plant, I am curious as to its toxicity. I am concerned that the rotting something or other smell might also attract curious dogs to eat them.

Thanx for your help,

Cala Lily's mom

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

the description of the flower stench makes me think of the Arum family... I don't recognize it from looking but maybe its a starting point..

3. mkplant

mkplant Active Member 10 Years

Because you didn't mention leaves I wonder if your plant is really a mushroom. I know nearly nothing about mushrooms but there is a group called Stinkhorns that might fit your description. In addition to smelling foul they often have a relationship to mulch according to some sites I found on a very quick web search. Have a look and see what you think.

4. Cala Lily's mom

Cala Lily's mom Member

Yes, the "Elegant Stinkhorn" fits the bill. It is stinky, but not poisonous. Thank you for your help in identifying this plant.