gladiolus bulbs

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by greenboy, Sep 15, 2009.

1. greenboy

greenboy Active Member

I planted gladiolus bulbs this year for the first time, for my wife. I don't like this plant very much but I don't mind to plant it for her. Now I know I have to take the bulbs out of the ground and save them for the next year. When is a good time to do that? and How I store them? I am in the Mountains Of Pennsylvania, so it get real cold here.

2. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Member

I'd dig them up as soon as the leaves have died down.

Leave about 2-3 centimetres of the stem on the corm. Store them around 20C for a month and let them dry. Then leave them in a box or tub lined with peat or mulch at about 10C.

3. Nath

Nath Active Member

Interesting that you dig your bulbs up. I leave mine in all year round like my lillies and tulips and they always come up year after year no problem.

Nath

4. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Member

Well, it really depends on how cold the soil gets. I don't grow them anymore. Wasn't fond of them myself.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

any place that is zone 6 or lower should dig up glads for overwintering inside - they're just not hardy enough to handle the cold weather we get.