Kanzan Cherry Tree

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by taras, Jun 10, 2009.

1. taras

taras Member

I have planted a Kwanzaa Cherry Tree with my sister who died from Scleroderma. We planted it in the pouring rain to save it. It is about 15 years old and flowers beautifully in the spring. It is at an angle about 45 degrees due to the sun. It has alot of dammage on the main trunk. Not sure why. Maybe the gardener hit the lawn mower on it.
    I am trying to root a branch so if this tree doesn't live I would have another one from it in memmory of my sister.
    I have been trying to cut a branch and stick it in root tone and soft soil to root it. Tried in the sun and in the shade tried rooting it in water. I have tried for a few years in the spring. I am out of ideas. Maybe my root tone is not fresh?
    Any one that can help me? Thanks Barbara bborzoi@verizonDOTnet

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Kwanzaa Cherry Tree

Like other Japanese flowering cherries 'Kanzan' ('Kwanzan') not likely to root from cuttings using home garden methods. Has been rooted using special commercial setups, otherwise many specimens continue to be propagated and sold grafted onto another cherry tree.

While there may be more than one clone on the market probably best to buy a replacement tree and assume it is the same clone, in which case it would be the same as starting with a new tree cut from the one you already have.

3. taras

taras Member

kwanzaa cherry tree

I have a kwanzaa cherry tree and the lower bark is all coming off. This tree is at a severe angle also. I would like to take a cutting and see if i can propergate it. I have tried many times throughout the year and have not been successful. Would Grafting be the way to go. I have done this many years ago. I do not remember exactly how. Or in this case what to start with. I did this only with house plants though. Any information would be great. thanks

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Ron B's reply from 2009 still applies, and your new query on the subject indicates that his information is correct.

His advice was that getting a new tree would amount to the same thing as starting a new one yourself, as they're probably from the same source. It would still be a 'Kanzan' in memory of your sister.