Best flowers or bulbs for shade?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by natnkat, Sep 20, 2009.

1. natnkat

natnkat Member

Hi there,

I have a side garden I'm about to cement in (just kidding). We have 2 dogs and during summer's heat they want a cool place to dig and lie...and they have chosen this small side garden along the north side of the house. I have planted and fenced and chased for 3 years now, and it's still bare dirt from all their digging and sleeping. I've got some extra rock and I'm seriously thinking about just putting it over everything, but I do love the look of it when it's had plants in it. So here's my question:
    What are some good perennial plants or bulbs I can put in that love shade? I plan on planting this fall, cover with rock and hope that rock is nowhere near as comfortable as dirt next year. I don't want to be redigging it every year so that's why perennials would be best. I have tried hostas and ferns and both looked great but didn't do well being sat upon. Mostly I'd like some flowers there. We're in zone 2/3 prairie but being next to the house and being covered in snow probable would put this section into 3/4 at least.

Thanks!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Nothing small is going to be able to hold up against the dogs. Even fairly large shrubs moved in could be spoiled by digging or chewing.

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

How about a rock garden with some flowers planted inbetween the rocks .. that might deter them from laying there ..
    i know what you mean i have 4 dogs and they all get the run of the front yard so no planting there ..

Marion