Hemp seeds wanted

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by kevind76, Aug 27, 2009.

1. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Anyone know where I could find Hemp seeds? The plants look really cool, and I'd like to try growing it. *NOTE* I am not looking for marijuana. If I understand correctly, marijuana cantains THC, but Hemp does not. Does this trait pass along with the seeds? Is there just one species, but many varieties, some with THC and soem without? There are farmers growing commercial Hemp in Manitoba, and I'd like to try myself. I know they grow quite large - apparently 8' high! I hope it's not illegal to grow here! If I can find seeds, what germination and grwing tips would you have?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

You'd be best off looking some where a bit more illegal - even if you don't plan to use it for drugs.

3. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Typing "hemp seeds" into a search engine will yield a large number of suppliers.

4. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Okay, well I'm dumb then, sorry.

I've heard they were beautiful plants so as long as the cops have no reason to come knocking it'd be a nice plant to have.

5. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Thanks. I thought this forum would be a great start, as people could give advice on their experiences, etc. I Googled it on my own, and it seems that seeds are widely available, but the problem will be find un-sterilized seed. Even though Hemp is legal, as far as I know, I guess fresh seed can't be sold commercially. Anyone here have other experiences?

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Your big problem is that the cops won't know whether it is illegal drug cannabis or legal hemp cannabis - they are hard to distinguish. So they'll come knocking anyway. Just like the ones who ripped up that field of licensed hemp (post #29 in this thread: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=55898 )

7. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

You could always grow it hydroponically or in a pot with an indoor lighting system. They'd be less likely to notice it then.