Tree with Infestation

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by coxrobe, Jun 3, 2004.

1. coxrobe

coxrobe Member

Hi, nice to see there are forums like this.
    I was looking for help identifying a tree and what might be wrong with it.
    Many leaves are half eaten, or have these strange attachments.
    See pics. I live in Connecticut for reference.
    Should I spay or let my natural black thumb kill it :>)
    Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Although it looks like a Linden (Tillia spp.) I would suggest your tree's problem is related to Maple bladder gall mites (possibly: Vasates aceriscrumena). There is a wonderful set of pictures in the book "Insects that feed on trees and shrubs, Cornell University Press, Johnson and Lyon" page 483 plate B. Treatment is largely useless and unnecessary. The damage to the leaf parts that are eaten could be as simple as a few wayward caterpillars of which again, treatment is largely useless and unnecessary at this time of year (they are probably gone allready).

a good link: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2004.html

3. The mites don't concern me, but the picture of the base of the tree does. It looks like the ground or wood chips are mounded up on the trunk, which can cause much worse problems than those mites ever could.

4. coxrobe

coxrobe Member

Thanks for the info!
    Looking around at the web sites does look like gall mites, and a Linden as you suggested.
    Regarding the roots, and base of the tree: this tree has a lot of roots right at the surface half exposed to the air for 5 feet and more away from the base of the tree. Should or could these be covered with dirt, or would it be best to leave them as is?
    Wanted to cover them up as it makes mowing the yard difficult.

Thanks again.

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would suggest you cut (carefully) the turf away from the section where the roots are exposed and place 2-3 inches of medium to coarse bark mulch at the base of the tree. This solves the mowing problem and keeps the tree roots healthy. If you cover the roots with soil you may initiate a problem with rotting or decomposition of the woody root structures. Try this website: http://www.treesaregood.com and look at their link for proper mulching techniques.