Overwintering tender perennials in a greenhouse

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by qcigardeninggirl, Sep 15, 2009.

1. qcigardeninggirl

qcigardeninggirl Member

I have various blooming plants (purchased as "annuals") in the garden here in Port Clements on the Queen Charlotte Islands that were purchased for a considerable amount of money and I am researching which ones I can overwinter in a 17 by 25 foot greenhouse.....there are Osteospermums, Gazanias, Sweet Potatoe Vines, both lime and black, Chocolate Cosmos, Draceana spikes, Coleus, a really pretty white daisy with a yellow center....looks like a marguerite....I even read someone overwintering petunias....can this be? Also some non stop begonias....I have not dug them up yet, but wonder if a season of growth will have produced tubers...
    This is the first year for the greenhouse so I wonder what will be the best temperature to try and overwinter these plants....their watering and light needs.
    There are also three grafted fruit trees in the greenhouse as well that we are going to try and espalier.
    Wow, any advice is so appreciated. I have tried to research this on the internet and have just gone round and round in circles.
    Much obliged.

2. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

If I recall correctly, the Charlottes are relatively warm, so how do your temps compare to Vancouver's? And what temperature do you expect your greenhouse to be?

3. qcigardeninggirl

qcigardeninggirl Member

Winter temperatures here in the Charlottes stay around four or five degrees.... cold snaps will rarely dropping below minus ten....I am hoping to keep the greenhouse around four degrees.
    I was thinking yesterday, after continued research, whether or not I should be taking cuttings rather than digging out plants and potting them up.
    I also have heliotrope and bidens that I wonder if they will overwinter.
    Anyone have any good ideas on how to sterilize the greenhouse walls and soil? There was a mighty infestation of shore flies and aphids....and sterile soil (we used Sunshine Mix #4 I think it was) is hugely expensive in these parts so I was hoping to re-use the soil in the planter boxes that we built.