In The Garden: Flowering Vine, Pentagon-shaped Flower Clusters, Yellow Flowers w Cone-like Petals

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by askal, Aug 1, 2015.

1. askal

askal New Member

Hi there, I'm a complete newbie to gardening and would like to know more about what's in my family's yard. Although my parents have planted many things over the years, they've had a sort of cavalier attitude where they don't remember the names of the plants and water/otherwise treat them more or less the same. :)

If it's okay, I'd like help IDing many plants but these three I'm most interested in so I thought I would start with them. I've been trying to use online interactive ID guides but they've only helped me with a few of the many plants we have. If there's a resource or book or something you think would help me learn to identify plants myself, please let me know.

The vine with deep violet flowers is a vine with buds all along and very broad leaves. One of the shorter vines is erect but the longest is on the ground, probably just because of the weight. It's pretty hefty! One of the larger leaves measured ~15cm overall from the top of the 'heart' to the tip and ~16.5 across at it's broadest. Flower's are ~8-9cm across. It's my favourite plant other than our Stargazer Lilies so I'd like to know what it is in the hope I can learn to properly care for it and maybe propagate it.

The clustered purple-pink flowers with a pentagon like shape are tall stalks, about 3.5ft at the highest. The individual flowers are ~2.5cm across and the cluster size varies. I'm afraid I neglected to measure the big clusters while they were in bloom and the new ones are still small.

The yellow flowers with cone or bell like petals have mostly basal leaves though some narrow leaves are on the stalks the flowers are on too. Overall, it's less than 2ft tall, flowers are ~5cm across, and leaves are ~8cm long and ~2cm across. Just so you know... I did deadhead and remove dead stalks of the yellow flower plant after the pictures were taken. I don't want to seem neglectful.

They all bloomed in July.

I hope the pictures and information are helpful. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Re: Flowering Vine, Pentagon-shaped Flower Clusters, Yellow Flowers w Cone-like Petal

1-4 Alcea? A. rosea 'Nigra', maybe. Lovely color.
    5-6 looks like tall Garden Phlox, Phlox paniculata.
    7-8 might be Coreopsis.
    (In fact, you could leave the seed-heads on the coreopsis---not neglectful but thoughtful, as the birds enjoy them.)

askal, you are to be applauded for wanting to learn and seeking out knowledge.
    You have come to the right place! Online info is good, books are (often) even better---but the best way to learn by far is right here, by asking questions, reading posts and the answers given by the members. Bit by bit you will remember names and facts, start to notice things like how leaves are arranged, how many petals a flower has...and then you will realize that you know more than you did! One day YOU will ID someone else's plant, and it will feel great.
    We all must start somewhere, and you have made a good choice.

By the way, your photos are good, clear and showing size and detail, and your questions are well-put.
    I think that you will do OK with your plants. We are here to help!

Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  3. askal

askal New Member

Re: Flowering Vine, Pentagon-shaped Flower Clusters, Yellow Flowers w Cone-like Petal

I think it's a match! Thank you for the ID and for the welcome. :)

I look forward to learning with the forum!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Yes, could be Coreopsis grandiflora

5. askal

askal New Member

Thank you! This narrowed it down enough for me to look through cultivars and find out it must be 'Jethro Tull.' Though I must confess I didn't know about the English agriculturalist and was initially surprised they named a flower after a prog rock band...

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It does have fluted ray flowers.