Yucca cane Help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by bonicgirl, May 15, 2008.

1. bonicgirl

bonicgirl Active Member

I've had this yucca cane plant for almost a year now.Repotted when i first got it.Leaves started turning brown at base of limb.(branch)Also notice some brown at base of limbs to.Thought it was dying;but find new growth.It looks big fo the 12 inch pot thats its in.Do i need to repot or leave it along.Pic 1 is plant in pot;pic 2 is brown spots on plants limb at base.pic 3 is new growth might not be as clear as the others.
    feed palnt feed last month;probably why i have new growth;but it starting to look to big in pot.Should i repot are not.

Attached Files:

• yc1.jpg
      yc1.jpg
      File size:
      187.9 KB
      Views:
    • yc 2.jpg
      yc 2.jpg
      File size:
      104.8 KB
      Views:
    • yc 3.jpg
      yc 3.jpg
      File size:
      50.9 KB
      Views:
  2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Seems OK in that pot for the moment. You could pot up one size if you wish. The new growth is probably because of spring. When you cut the crown off a Yucca, you can repot the crown and you will get new growth from the cut "cane"

Ed

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yucca one thing, Cane plants another.

This said, Ed is absolutely right - this is a normal process for your Yucca; they'll actually come back sort of bushy - at least, as bushy as a bladed plant gets - from the base of the stump if you cut them down flush to the ground. You can also sometimes plant the top part of the cut trunk, if it's still got leaves on it.

4. edleigh7

I was just using their words : )

Ed

5. bonicgirl

bonicgirl Active Member

i think the part you are calling the crown is the branch.Do i cut it all the way to the cane stalk or what.Will this cutting kill my plant.

6. edleigh7

The crown, as it implies, is the top part of the plant ie the part with the leaves on it. If you wanted to cut the crown I would do it about 10 inches past where the leaves stop on the trunk/branch. Personally I wouldn't cut the crown untill it grows a bit more. It looks good as it is at the moment : )

Ed

7. lorax

I'd leave it until it is about to be too tall for your ceilings, then cut it back.

8. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Yucca elephantipes

There is nothing wrong with your plant but it would probably benefit from getting more light. Otherwise, leave it alone. That's normal growth. It put out new growth because it is the beginning of the growing season, not because you gave it fertilizer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
  9. bonicgirl

bonicgirl Active Member

help my yucca cane is losing more leaves;not sure why;pic of plant is on this web site under yucca cane help;leaves are turning brown and getting hard to the touch.

10. lorax

Check your moisture levels - that's usually a sign of too much or not enough water. If the soil is swamped, re-pot immediately.

11. bonicgirl

bonicgirl Active Member

soil is not to wet;but here is a pic of plant and you can see how the leaves are drying from bottom;it leaving the bark brown. In this pic i circle what am talking bark.@circle at bottom in pic is the bark turning brown after leave has died.The circle on top left of pic is the leaves dying;before bark turns brown.The leaves turn bown then hard;then i remove them.I think it might me an old plant;I've had it about a year;had to put in bigger plant only one time.Been told and hear i could make more plants off this type of plant by cutting out the top,not sure how to do that.hope i can save this plant if its dying.

Attached Files:

• yc2.jpg
      yc2.jpg
      File size:
      217.2 KB
      Views:
  12. lorax

OK, that gives me a better idea. You don't need to be concerned about it at all! That's the natural process of the old leaves dying and the trunks turning into branches.

13. bonicgirl

bonicgirl Active Member

do you think i need to repot in a bigger pot come spring.
    how often do i fertilizer it.