What is this insect?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by countrybumpkin, Jul 27, 2008.

1. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin Member

I hope someone can tell me what is bothering a few of my plants. It is a small, dark gray insect that along with many more have congregated on first, the stems of my sea holly, and now on my pussy willow.

I noticed on the sea holly that during their stay I had lots of ant, bees and flys hanging around the sea holly. Other than that they didn't seem to do any damage.

Now they are on my pussy willow. Large groups of them, all packed together on numerous stems, have invaded. I probably would not even have noticed, but as I walked by the pussy willow I heard a lot of bees buzzing. That caught my attention since there are not any blooms on the pussy willow. The ground underneath is dark with either sap or dropping from them, or possibly the bees.

Can someone tell me what they are and what I need to do about them?

I did not take a picture, but I can try to get one if needed.

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe aphids.

3. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin Member

Thanks chimera! I think you are right. I didn't realize there were so many different types of aphids! I know an aphid when I see it on a rose bush, but these are different.
    I googled them and sure enough, I found some like mine.

Thanks again!