Tasteless plums

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by beukeveld, Jan 28, 2008.

1. beukeveld

beukeveld Member

Our plums are tastless. Is there anything we can do to improve flavor? The tree is about 18 years old and hasn't had any maintenance in at least 5 years.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hard to say - possibly a seed-grown plum so no improvement possible? Does the plant have sentimental / ornamental value to you in addition to producing plums?

3. beukeveld

beukeveld Member

Thanks for the reply Daniel,

We moved into a new house; it's got 6 fruit trees that the kids love to pick. We don't have an emotional attachement to the plum tree, but it gives us some privacy from seeing into the neighbor's yard.
    It doesn't look like any of our trees have been grafted; is it common practice?

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

What size and shape are the plums?

My guess is it might be a Cherry-plum (Prunus cerasifera), which has smaller, spherical plums (about 2-3cm diameter) which don't have a lot of flavour. It is commonly grown as an ornamental tree, mainly for its early spring flowers. They do make good plum jam though.

5. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Michael F
    You mentioned that Cherry Plums (CHUMs) do not have a lot of flavour. Does it apply to the Cherry Plums at the site below as well (i.e. Convoy, Manor, Sapa and Dura)?:
    http://www.dnagardens.com/catalogue.htm#chum

I spent time and money last year acquiring and planting one each hoping for good fruit. I hope I do not have to replace them soon because of tastelessness.

beukeveld
    If you ever think of replacing your plum tree, consider a multi-gratfted PLUM tree such as the 4-way plum combo at Dinter nursery (Victoria or close to Victoria.. Duncan city actually). They don't ship:
    http://www.dinternursery.ca/FruitTrees.htm

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not necessarily at all, no, I was referring to unselected self-sown specimens, or cultivars selected for flower quality, not fruit quality.

7. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Thanks Michael That is re-assuring that my CHUMs may be something to look forward to.