mango tree graft help

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by demondmh, Mar 6, 2009.

1. demondmh

demondmh Member

I have new growth on my mango tree. It is right around the graft area. How can I ensure that it is not the rootstock? It is the only new growth on the tree.

Attached Files:

2. demondmh

demondmh Member

I am not sure exactly where the graft is. It almost looks like 2 grafts- one below the new growth and one above.

3. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

it is hard to tell is that damage around the area ? if the area above that is still alive i would say knock the new lower growth off , withought knowing if that is from the grafted scion or the rootstock. you might need to scratch one of the limbs above the graft area with a fingernail to see if it is green and good. or if it is green and dry or brown it doesn't look good. i am allergic to them so donot grow them i would have to whear gloves to mess with the plants and donot like the fruit since i found out the hard way i am allergic to the sap of them allong with poison ivy and brazilian peppers they are all in the same family. there are some people that are only allergic to one or the other some are allergic to all