Identification: Household Tropical Hanging Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by typat, Mar 23, 2014.

1. typat

typat New Member

I just purchased this beautiful plant for my house but I have no idea what it is called. The insert simply described it as a "tropical hanging plant" and gave me simple care instructions. I would like this plant to thrive in my house and therefore would like to know what it is called. I appreciate anything that you might have to add. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

And a very pretty one, too!

Member of Gesneriaceae, same family as African violets.
    I have an Episcia, now residing in a large hanging pot. It started life as a cutting about 10 years ago. Donor of cutting had no idea what it was (said her mother-in-law called it 'Chocolate Soldier'...???) Took me a brace of moments to ID it. Once it overcame its bedraggled start, I soon bore witness to this plant's 'stoloniferous habit'. Very much so!

Not too wet, not too dry, and be most careful with the tender leaves. I hang my plant at eye level above the kitchen sink to water it. I do this every couple of weeks, depending on the ambient temp and humidity and when my feeling-the-soil test for dryness produces the reaction 'Yeah, that's pretty dry'. Run water in the sink until it is neither cold nor warm (the famous 'tepid'). Once this is achieved I CAREFULLY peek under the leaves so that I can train the stream of water from the sprayer hose (tested to make sure that the water coming from it is the same temp as the tap water) onto the soil, NOT the leaves. Gently!

If your plant is in a spot where it is happy, LEAVE IT THERE. If it is like mine it will every so often reward you with a cheering and brilliant display! (The flowers are fuzzy too, which you will see if you look real close.) Enjoy your Episcia!

Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  4. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

nice plant. thanks for posting it.