Identify this ill Florida Plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dargen, Dec 9, 2008.

1. dargen

dargen Member

I was told I could take these branch clippings, plant them in the ground and water daily and they will grow.

What type of plant is this?:

Why does it look ill?

Attached Files:

2. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, your rather large cutting looks like an umbrella tree or Schefflera actinophylla -I think they are native to northern Queensland, Australia. These plants do grow from cuttings in ideal conditions -a warm humid environment. Your cutting looks sick because it is under stress, a large branch with no roots to support such a lot of foliage..
    I've only grown cuttings from much smaller pieces and have not heard of success with striking such large branches. Maybe someone from Queensland can give you some advice. Umbrellas grow very easily from seed and can quickly become a weed. ciao bertoli

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yes, it's an invasive species in Florida so you may want to rethink growing this.
    Also if you were to attempt such a large cutting you would be better served trying
    this during Florida's rainy season and might want to provide temporary shade during a
    non drought year such as the one you are now experiencing.

Regards
    Chris

4. dargen

dargen Member

I have 2 planted. The larger tree that is extremely stressed, gets Sun for a half a day or less. I am watering every day, early morning. I chose this tree because of how beautiful my friend's trees are, and my backyard is so empty, I wanted something that grows quick and large. Given the weather circumstances this time of year in Florida, and the fact that I am watering daily, should I continue this regiment or should I cut the top half of this large clipping and replant? Should I be clipping off the browning leaves? I am new to the plant world and I am trying to green my thumb with a new hobby. Advice on this "weed" tree is much appreciated. Thank you for the responses thus far.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  5. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, I see that you've also posted in the plant propagation forum. You are having problems with your cuttings because they are too big, have too much foliage and are exposed to the hot sun. If you want an instant tree it is better to buy an established plant otherwise start off with smaller cuttings.
    Here is a link to propagating plants from cuttings,
    http://asgap.org.au/APOL13/mar99-9.html

there are many links on the net but also a lot of good advice in this forum - use the search function to check out what others have to say.
    If you want to persevere with these cuttings, i'd cut off all but the very top leaves and make sure that the cuttings are protected from the sun. Good luck
    ciao bertoli

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008